cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus rift CV1 Intermittent black screen and snow

Elipette
Level 0
Hello. I've been using the rift for about 3 years now and I never had this problmem before. It started 2 days ago. I start playing normally,then about 2 minutes in the game i got black screen ( with sound on ) for 2 to 3 seconds then the image comes back and it happen again i would say every 30 seconds. I even got black screen followed by snow like old tv. If I just keep playing I will eventually come to a point when a get a black screen and i have to restart the oculus.

I've tried a lot of things

-Re plug all usb and hdmi 
- disable the option "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the usb input device properties
- download the latest drivers 
- unplug the wire of the oculus ( on the headset )

i've been running about 1000 hours of games in vr so i'm guessing it's not an hardware issue or something like this, but maybe it's the end of the line for my old CV1 ?
3 REPLIES 3

parsecn
Level 7
If you are using an active USB 3.0 extension cable, try removing it and powering the HMD direct from motherboard. I've had an older cable go flaky on me which resulted in 1 eye going black or both on occasion, and normally when a very white or bright scene started within a game. 

How is the Oculus cable to HMD looking? Any kinks or funky bends?

Elipette
Level 0
I'm not using a USB 3.0 extension cable, i'm only using the default wire without anything else except a displayport hdmi adapter. 

The cable, well it's really funky i would say. A big bend where the cable is attached to the headset, then the cable seems twisted a lot, then another big bend. Looking a it their is no visible damage but inside the cable, all the bends and the twisted part could have something to do with the issues i'm running into. 

But if that's the case, it means that I have to buy another one and unfortunately they are not selling cv1 anymore.

Soulbrothernr3
Level 2

i'm havoing the exact same issue down to the bulge in the wire from where it hangs of the headset.

Did you find any fix or cause ?