cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus rift won’t display anything

Magi_Ghoul
Honored Guest
Hey guys, recently my oculus rift won’t show any image through it. It worked fine a week ago... I tried almost every fix shown on google and YouTube but nothing works. 
My specs are 
RTX 2060
i7 10th gen 
32 gb ddr4 
Im also using the oculus application on a ssd if that even matters... 
the thing is that the oculus home does detect my sensors and headset, but when I put it on it’s just a black screen, and a notification shows in my monitor saying it’s not working properly...but when I unplug the hdmi from the display port extension cable, my game shows on the monitor and the game moves on the monitor when I move the headset, it just won’t  show on the actual headset when plugged into the display port. 
I tried putting the hdmi on the hdmi port of my graphics card instead of the display port and that doesn’t work either. I’ve reverted to older drivers, installed and reinstalled, and still nothing works. 
My warranty can’t cover it either since it’s been 18 months  

7 REPLIES 7

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hey @Magi_Ghoul try re-seating the cable behind the facial interface, both can be removed individually by gently pulling. Re-running the setup to repair the software may help, along with updating your graphics and USB drivers. If you still have issues, reach out here. - Principe
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
Yup, had the same thing happen to my Rift CV1 a week ago (after working flawlessly for the past 3 years)...none of the reported solutions work. It is definitely USB3.0 related...even if your system is telling you to switch HDMI ports. USB3.0 is getting outdated and the Rift + Rfit S are 'very' picky about what USB ports they are on. I bought a Rift S to replace the CV1 (as I'm developing presently and need a working VR hmd) and even had problems with that. The only thing that fixed my Rift S problem was installing an Inateck USB3.0 card (with Fresco logic) that I had laying around in my spare parts (plus making sure that nothing else is using it). Oh, and also I just updated Win 10 1909 to Win 10 2004...which in my case gave me a huge boost in development performance for some reason I'm unaware of...but I'll take it regardless. USB3.1 is also a solution but will again depend on the quality of the chipset.

My Rift CV1 still has black screen though...probably due to the fact that it requires 4 times the USB ports (3 sensors + HMD) as the Rift S. It's getting much harder to use older tech in newer systems lately...and the fact that everything is forced updated now, leaving users scratching their heads when things break.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Magi_Ghoul
Honored Guest

Hey @Magi_Ghoul try re-seating the cable behind the facial interface, both can be removed individually by gently pulling. Re-running the setup to repair the software may help, along with updating your graphics and USB drivers. If you still have issues, reach out

Hey ! yea i've done all of that already and still no luck ! 

Magi_Ghoul
Honored Guest

Yup, had the same thing happen to my Rift CV1 a week ago (after working flawlessly for the past 3 years)...none of the reported solutions work. It is definitely USB3.0 related...even if your system is telling you to switch HDMI ports. USB3.0 is getting outdated and the Rift + Rfit S are 'very' picky about what USB ports they are on. I bought a Rift S to replace the CV1 (as I'm developing presently and need a working VR hmd) and even had problems with that. The only thing that fixed my Rift S problem was installing an Inateck USB3.0 card (with Fresco logic) that I had laying around in my spare parts (plus making sure that nothing else is using it). Oh, and also I just updated Win 10 1909 to Win 10 2004...which in my case gave me a huge boost in development performance for some reason I'm unaware of...but I'll take it regardless. USB3.1 is also a solution but will again depend on the quality of the chipset.

My Rift CV1 still has black screen though...probably due to the fact that it requires 4 times the USB ports (3 sensors + HMD) as the Rift S. It's getting much harder to use older tech in newer systems lately...and the fact that everything is forced updated now, leaving users scratching their heads when things break.

Yea, it is pretty frustrating, I've done everything i could think of to fix this and nothing, and almost every "solution" online I could find. All I can do is keep trying i guess. I'll see about using usb 3.1 like you mentioned...

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
Definitely try or get a Inateck USB3.0 with Fresco logic first before trying USB3.1. It is the recommended type of card from Oculus's solutions.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

jhhoward
Explorer
I'm having exactly the same problem as you described. To check whether it was a hardware or software issue, I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on a bootable USB drive. When I booted from the USB drive and installed the Oculus software my Rift worked without any problems. This tells me there is nothing wrong with my actual headset or any of my PC hardware.

I've tried uninstalling the Oculus software and manually deleting the Oculus folders from the AppData folders and then reinstalling but this didn't help.

Either there is something conflicting with the Oculus software or it has got itself in a broken state. I also recently upgraded to Windows 10 2004 so perhaps it is related?
I don't really want to wipe and reinstall Windows on my PC but this is starting to look like the only option 😞
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Weird thing is I also tried attaching my Quest and giving Oculus Link a go. It connected but the display was also black like with my Rift. (HMD was still tracking correctly in my dev tools though)

jhhoward
Explorer
After a lot of back and forth with Oculus support and attempting fixes that I saw in other threads, the only way I was able to resolve this issue was to use the Windows 10 'Reset this PC' option (keeping documents) and reinstall all of my apps. It was a huge pain to have to basically set up my whole PC again but I can confirm that it fixed the problem for me.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?