cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus suddenly keeps detecting itself as a second screen and hogging up primary screen space.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus suddenly keeps detecting itself as a second screen and hogging up primary screen space. This makes it impossible for me to actually use the Occulus VR Desktop mode at all. This all suddenly started getting funky today. Didn't have a single problem last night.
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seems that it's the beta that's doing it. Decided to re-instal, but it just gives errors now.

falken76
Expert Consultant
Beta broke my monitor setup also.  Can't move the mouse passed the bezel of the primary Monitor.  Apps open up on the extended desktop and I can't access anything there.  I had to uninstall Oculus and re-install it.  Luckily all you have to do during setup is point to your games directory folder and the games worked again once it was re-installed.  Repair didn't work I had to take it off.  If that's not working, I guess you either re-install windows or open a support ticket and hope they can help you. 

I will not be using Beta at all until this is confirmed fixed.  It's a damn shame this is still an issue.  Does the Beta do anything for performance?  I could care less about having a virtual room to invite my fake friends over to so we can hang out and do nothing in.  I really don't think I'd ever use any of the features of dash, I would never pay for it, so I doubt I'll be using any of the features anyway.  I don't care as long as those of us that have dual monitors and this broke our setup have an option to still opt out of the beta.  But for the love of god, before this is forced on all of us, make sure the monitor problem is fixed!

falken76
Expert Consultant
Well I went against my own words and decided to give Beta a try again.  It has been nearly 4  months since I posted this.  It is now worse than it was before.  Not only do the monitors still break (Luckily I learned you can fix it by stopping OVR service and restarting it once it gives you access to your monitor again).  But now when I opt into Beta it makes my mouse completely disappear.  I can't access anything on the desktop on either monitor now.  This is ridiculous, it's WORSE than it was 4 months ago.  Now I have no way to opt out of Beta since the mouse is gone and the only way to opt in or out is via mouse input from within the software.  I have to wait to see if anyone possibly knows if there's a config file I can delete or edit so I can get out of beta so I don't have to re--download that damn install file that we can never save again.  This was such a huge waste of time and bandwidth.

I don't know what I did, but between hitting alt+tab and smashing a bunch of other keys Oculus released usage of my mouse only to the extended desktop not primary.  I had to open task manager and use left window key and arrow keys to move task manager over to the second monitor to end task.  This isn't only non functional, it puts your entire system in a state where it is not usable.  Then when it releases everything you have to go in and kill OVR again or you won't get access to the primary monitor back, THEN you have to go into control panel and move the monitors back into place.  This is a huge pain in the ass.