cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus support for people with one eye vision.

Ragzzy-R
Honored Guest
Hello,

I just got an Oculus from one of my friend as a gift to support my indie game development so that i can develop games for VR. I set up everything and when I tested the oculus with a demo game I find its too blurred for me just like looking via a poor glass. I only have vision in left eye and vision in my right eye is completely gone immediately after my birth. I gave the oculus to some of my friends and they could actually enjoy the oculus but I couldn't. I think its because oculus is build for people with normal eyes. Note that I have normal vision in my left eye but just my right eye dont have vision. Does any other oculus users have told about this issue? will there be something done for it? I am really excited about where VR is going but it makes me sad when i can't enjoy a game I developed with VR  :disappointed:

11 REPLIES 11

Alien_Photons
Explorer

Don't worry about any lack of responce most people don't know how to respond to a question like this in a forum where it is perhaps thought that the primary point is in using both eyes. Its easy to forget that steroscopic views is just one aspect of VR. My other hobby is astronomy and everyone has an opinion on using one eye in those forums including peolple with one eye, one good eye and two bad eyes.

We can assume that optically the oculus rift has no dependance on a requirement for both eyes other than the stereoscopic vision. Obvious but lets get that out of the way. So lets consider any optical correction of your one good eye.

I have a very strong astigmatism in both my eyes and cant enjoy anything related to watching a screen, reading emails, road signs etc. unless I wear my glasses. So I would think that with your good eye that you would have had any optical issues corrected with glasses.

Do you wear them when using the rift?

We should assume you have gone through the process of setting up the rift optical alignment?

Regards.

cleanupdisc
Adventurer
 😞 😞  Anything is possible. Ever heard the story of the nba drafted player who only had vision in one eye? If someone can make it to the nba with one eye surely VR could be optimized for one eye as well. Its just that the current headsets and technology aren't right now. You can get a decent experience im sure but the content is dependent on 2 eyes right now.  

Maybe someday a patch will come out that simulates what 2 eyes see in for one eye while in vr.

Alien_Photons
Explorer
Don't worry about any lack of responce most people don't know how to respond to a question like this in a forum where the whole point is in using both eyes. Its easy to forget that steroscopic views is just one aspect of VR. My other hobby is astronomy and everyone has an opinion on using one eye in those forums including peolple with one eye, one good eye and two bad eyes.

We can assume that optically the oculus rift has no dependance on a requirement for both eyes other than the stereoscopic vision. Obvious but lets get that out of the way.

I have a very strong astigmatism in both my eyes and cant enjoy anything related to watching a screen, reading emails, road signs etc. unless I wear my glasses. So I would think that with your good eye that you would have had any optical issues corrected with glasses. There are lots of question I guess with this.

It might be that no one else has tried this and you might be amongst the first. Posting your experiences might be more helpful in working out were the problem might be and in helping those that follow.

SapowiTz
Protege
The stereoscopic vision is used both in real life and in VR to calculate distance and depth perception. The way people with only 1 eye vision calculate distance is by muscle memory of known object sizes and the 1 eye gets good at this with time. 
If you not used to it people have a hard time calculate distance with 1 eye only, and thats another reason why doctors deny car-driving if someone gets a temporarly eye damage.

But I can imagine it must be hard to use VR even with a trained eye, if the scale isnt 100% accurate. And nearly impossible if playing something with a lot of unknown object sizes

Ragzzy-R
Honored Guest
Hello All, 
Sorry for the late reply. I almost forgot about this thread after I posted it. Thanks for your input. So as @SapowiTz
 pointed out, although stereoscopic vision is natural, I have never ever experienced it in my life. Yes, I'm 25 now and I got better with one eyed vision over time. But there are thousand instances in my day to day life where i struggle. like pouring wine in a glass, or playing cricket(British version of baseball, a religion in India now. And I shouldnt be playing it anyways by doctors advice as its very risky :tongue: ).

Also as you guys said, driving was real hard for me initially. I dont own a car but I do have a motorcycle. Initially switching lanes to the right were a big issue on expressways as there is always a blind spot in rear view mirrors. but I bought a wider mirror and practiced a lot and now I can drive really well. I even take road trips in my cruiser. :smile:

So I think I should wait till a tech comes for this. or maybe try to research on this to invent a tech for it. :smile: . I dont know if oculus has this on their roadmap. but I really think there should be something done for this. 

on a completely unrelated point, I have a doubt which i think you guys can shed some light on:

whenever i take a pillion passenger on my motorcycle, I find it hard to stabilize. Its not like I cant manage weight. I clearly can. but I feel the center of gravity is off or something. like say i feel lot of drag like a locomotive coach dragging the engine because its improperly designed. my motorcycle is also not a bad one. its a 220cc engine and can reach 0-100 with a decent 9-10 sec. Is it possible that people with two eye has different center of gravity than ppl with one eye? i know body weight also factors for COG but im just wondering what is actually causing it.

YoLolo69
Trustee
Hi Raggzzy-R, I don't really understand why you cannot enjoy the Rift with only one eye. One of my friend have a similar problem and we were able to setup the Rift fine for him. We had to fine tune the IPD as this still important, even in such a case, to be sure the sweet middle spot is exactly in front of your eye. You don't talk about the IPD setting, did you configure it?

Oh, I'm adding : lack of stereoscopic feeling is far to be a show stopper in the Rift. You can still enjoy all applications and games. Also, some monoscopic applications games exist too like 360 panoramas...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Reading this - it sounds like he can't really tell depth really well in that one eye. That might be the core problem here. Some people with 1 working eye tend to lose their ability to tell depth. Most humans can still function pretty well even with one eye long as they can tell where objects are coming from. This can even happen with people that have both working eyes as well. In that case - I hate to say it - there might not be anything that anyone can do to help with that. It's kind of like a software glitch. It works most of the time, but as you said, you have a hard time getting wine in glass. Base off that fact you didn't have both eyes working as well when you was younger, this might have not developed correctly for you. That is a sign that you might have some issues telling depth in general. It could be a hardware issue and glasses should correct for that, but if it's a software issue in the brain - then there isn't anything that can be done sadly. 

Right now, two eyes work the best with your brain doing some of the work to tell far an object is. This is a limitation of Gen1 for any headset and could be an issue even with gen 2 headsets until we can get eye tracking and depth of field working.

Gofer01
Honored Guest

Ragzzy-R said:

Hello,

I just got an Oculus from one of my friend as a gift to support my indie game development so that i can develop games for VR. I set up everything and when I tested the oculus with a demo game I find its too blurred for me just like looking via a poor glass. I only have vision in left eye and vision in my right eye is completely gone immediately after my birth. I gave the oculus to some of my friends and they could actually enjoy the oculus but I couldn't. I think its because oculus is build for people with normal eyes. Note that I have normal vision in my left eye but just my right eye dont have vision. Does any other oculus users have told about this issue? will there be something done for it? I am really excited about where VR is going but it makes me sad when i can't enjoy a game I developed with VR  :disappointed:

Gofer01
Honored Guest
I have the same problem with the same eye since birth. I have Ceberal Palsy. I could have gotten an Oculus from a friend in China for $4.30 USD plus shipping. Don't know if he buying them in Hong Kong or in China. I got to this thread by Googling to see if I able to see if I can use a VR headset. Furthermore, he said the trade war between China and the United States as no effect on China. So Donald J. Chump is only hurting the American businesses and it's costumers.9r4qxtl8tf70.png