cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OculusWorldDemo 0.3.1 File Load Failed [SOLVED]

JPTiger
Honored Guest
Hey All,

I'm having some trouble with the 0.3.1 OculusWorldDemo. When I run it I get a File Load Failed error. The file structure is untouched. Strange thing is when I compile and run in VS2013 (release) it works fine. I don't know why it wouldn't work outside of VS.

Anyone know of a solution or had this happen to them? Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

jherico
Adventurer
Are you trying to launch it by double clicking on the executable? The demo code is finicky about how it finds the example resources. If you build it and then try to launch it from the command line or from the explorer window by clicking the EXE it always seems to fail. Try launching it from the shortcut in the root of the SDK folder.
Brad Davis - Developer for High Fidelity Co-author of Oculus Rift in Action

JPTiger
Honored Guest
Genius! Thanks for that! Strange how the code has trouble finding the resources. Possibly just a hierarchy issue.

veelo
Honored Guest
You can run it from the command line, but not from the directory where the .exe is. cd to the OculusWorldDemo dir, where the Assets dir is. The .exe is probably in the Release dir. Then start the demo by giving its path: Release\OculusWorldDemo.exe.

Bastiaan.

jherico
Adventurer
For the curious, the somewhat hilarious process of finding the Tuscany.xml file which defines the scene is here.

It consists of looking for "Assets/Tuscany/Tuscany.xml", then for "../Assets/Tuscany/Tuscany.xml", and then for "Samples/OculusWorldDemo/Assets/Tuscany/Tuscany.xml". Each will work from a specific directory in which you're likely to be running the application, but none of them will work from the actual directory the executable is created in.

Of course, you can't really blame Oculus for this. Cross platform resource management is a hard problem, not least because each platform solves it in a different way. Apple has bundles, Windows has resources in the EXE or DLL, and Linux has whatever the hell Linux has, which is to say that there's no universal way of embedding non-executable resources into executable ones.
Brad Davis - Developer for High Fidelity Co-author of Oculus Rift in Action