cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please make it so we see the *actual*, latest software version besides the installed one.

flexy123
Level 9
My automatic updates don't work for ages. I never know what the ACTUAL and latest version is.

For example, 20 mins ago because even on reddit nobody could tell me whether it's 1.31 or 1.32, I did a repair install of Oculus. The software itself didn't even notify me there is a new version, it told me "looks like you're installed" indicating all is ok.

Low and behold, I did a repair and it's 1.33 now. (No, I am not signed up to the PTR/betas).

Please Oculus give us information what the latest version is somewhere in the software.

(And why Oculus doesn't do auto-update since ages, even after multiple reinstalls etc, I don't know. It's queuing updates but NEVER applies them)

5 REPLIES 5

GATOxVoS
Level 7
The latest is 1.33, but since they do "roll-outs" for their latest official updates, some users may still be on 1.32 until their allowed to update to 1.33. 

Repairing an installation during this time is iffy, as while the roll-out of the latest update happens, some users say they can just "repair" their installation with the newest version if they've been stuck waiting for Oculus to send them the OK to update to the latest version. This is I think what happened in your case; you were on 1.32 (with no roll-out update pending) but the repair compared your files against 1.33 and updated them accordingly.   

AFAIK, the latest version available to you as a user is whatever version your current client is when there are no pending updates. Sure, it'd be nice for them to put a number somewhere saying what the official latest is, but when they force auto-updates of your client to the latest before you can even play, idk how helpful that number will really be.  

As far as your auto-update situation, you should sort that out with Support, as I have had no problems with auto-updates for quite some time now. Didn't even realize going from 1.32 to 1.33 two days ago, even though I've been putting good hours everyday for the past week in Skyrim VR.(don't remember an update dialogue, but it clearly says that two days ago it was downloaded and applied).
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

flexy123
Level 9
For me there are always *pending* updates they have downloaded, but they are NEVER applied. The automatic updates worked a year or so ago...but they stopped working months ago and ever since never work. This also means I never know what the latest s/w version is.

I was on 1.31. I did a repair, and it did to 1.33

All I want is an indicator in the status screen where you normally see what version you're running that a new version is available, so you see whether you should update/repair.....given that something with automated updates is wonky.

Thmoas
Level 7
Here on the forum you can see the last version released and in the settings/general you can see your current Oculus Home version.

GATOxVoS
Level 7
I suppose I don't know what you mean by "pending" updates then.

When there is an update that I can download, but Oculus.exe is not running, I cannot go to the home screen of the app as there is the forced update to the client before it opens up. If the client is running and I receive an update, it goes into my downloading queue, downloads, and then (I think) it gives me the option of closing the app and updating, or continuing without the update in the current session and applying the update the next time you open Oculus.exe

If you're dealing with the latter case, but the updates never apply giving you "pending" updates, then I don't know why it's not updating (maybe permissions?). To note though, the updates that are downloaded AND applied are still in your "Library" --> "Updates" list, as this I think is just a listing of all recent downloads. 

In terms of the added Latest Version info though, I think it goes against what Oculus/Facebook is trying to do, which is control the rollout of the Updates and control the Update Cycle for all their users. They've gotten a lot of flak from us on the forums in the past when users can see that they don't have the latest version, while also having to wait for the roll-out to download that latest version. The worst case was when the app was still in the ~1.10 version range and people were waiting up to a week for the roll-out for critical tracking fixes. I was *lucky* enough during that time to receive updates 3 days after they began the roll-out, but some had to wait a week and were rightfully angry having to look at the updated version number but not being able to download it. 
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

zaipie
Level 2
Ran into this same problem. Hadn't used Oculus for a while. App did not show any intend of updating, nor any possibility to let me update. Repair installation upped me from 1.33 to 1.36.. :S