cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible USB Issue (Retesting Underway)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Note: This issue is undergoing further testing to see if it can be reproduced; please disregard until further notice.

I stumbled onto what seems like an issue related to Rift use and certain hardware and game combinations.  I have been chasing down these problems for days until I found a couple of people with similar issues that pointed me back to USB issues with the Oculus; that's not to say that it's all on Oculus shoulders - just that there seems to be a link that should not be ignored.

I have the CV1 running the latest version of Oculus Home and it is connected to a Fresco-Logic based USB-PCIe card as recommended although, CV1 performed well using the Mobo USB (Intel) but, showed as needing updated drivers. I did try the latest drivers from Intel to no avail so I used the add-in card for the Rift with no errors or flags.

rFactor2 - a racing simulation; the game can run in 2 modes, 32-bit / 64-bit. Some of the 3rd-party apps (SimCommander) require 64-bit mode be used. In recent days, I discovered that the game would not start in 64-bit mode, only in 32-bit mode. After several attempts to solve the issue by uninstalling/cleaning/re-installing the software, I began testing for USB issues and found that the shifter (Fanatec) appeared to be the cause. Process of elimination showed this hardware to be directly related to the game crashes but, seemed too isolated to be the sole cause. It should be noted that this title does not currently support VR use but, that's not the issue in this case as the Rift remained idle throughout these tests.

SimCommander4 (by SimXperience): Used to control the AccuForce Steering System, motion-simulators and Tactile Feedback (SimVibe). Use of this software requires rF2 be run in 64-bit mode only. Some have issues with rF2 telemetry getting to SC4 with the Rift connected but, I don't know if they also use the Fanatec Shifter as well. I'll be testing it's (SC4) functionality later.

Fanatec Shifter SQ (with USB adapter): rF2 also stopped working if I plugged in the shifter after starting the game successfully in 64-bit mode. That's when I unplugged the CV1 and found that the shifter then worked normally in rF2 (64-bit mode) again. I hadn't tried playing this title for some time so I can't put any time stamp on when this issue started. I was sure to use the latest firmware for the USB-adapter

Update: It seems my OVR-linkage findings aren't reproducible upon further testing regarding OVR so the focus is back on the shifter again. 😕

Thank you,
Dean
2 REPLIES 2

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
Do you have the windows driver instead of the manufacturers?
Uninstall the drivers and then restart and let windows put there is.

I found that I had issues with some games as well and I unplugged and replugged my headset cord at the headset worked with the jumping screen issue. Logically, that confused me.. but that worked.

If you keep getting issues follow this guide

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zrtgs/psa_your_usb_30_ports_may_not_be_compatible_with/?st...

Apparently some USB ports say they are compatible .. but are not.
I would recommend not wasting anymore time and getting this card. It solved all my weird problems.
Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the information molokow. 🙂

I already have the Inatek PCIe card and have no other errors or performance issues aside from the above documented USB issues related to this one title and combination of hardware. I've also used several different USB-drivers including the Windows ones. The current ones I'm using are the only ones that haven't shown flags.