cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primary display size changes when launching Oculus Rift

Mr_GoodKat
Protege
I have a GTX 1080 with primary display being a 40" TV and a secondary 27" monitor. Recently I've started getting this annoying screen size change when launching rift. Like an overscan. The windows taskbar is out of the screen viewing area and so forth. This is a recent thing, and I believe it's caused by the recent update. Anyone else get this and have a fix? I'm getting tired of resizing all of the time.
10 REPLIES 10

JKN
Explorer
Same here. I sometime set my screen to 720p (because a few VR games actually re-render to desktop). Opening Oculus will now force the output back to 1080p, but with a 720p virtual desktop inside. This messes up screen recording as it will record the full 1080p black screen with the 720p game in the middle. 

WreckLuse68
Heroic Explorer
All my apps/games render to my monitor at correct resolutions and gamebar records them perfectly at full HD (1920x1080)...I would suggest that it could be a setup prob on your PC...maybe try disabling a monitor before launching your Oculus.
When Einstein was asked how it felt to be the smartest man on Earth, he replied, “I wouldn’t know. Ask Nikola Tesla”.

JKN
Explorer

All my apps/games render to my monitor at correct resolutions and gamebar records them perfectly at full HD (1920x1080)...I would suggest that it could be a setup prob on your PC...maybe try disabling a monitor before launching your Oculus.

The problem is when using any resolution other than 1080p. 

Nij
Heroic Explorer
Oh I've had this issue for a while now and made a thread about it too. 

Just got a new pc and was hoping it would go away but it still happens and could not figure out why and as mentioned above, I've noticed it doesn't happen when my monitor is at 1080p but any lower resolution my screen just shrinks. It didn't bother me at first but it is very annoying now, say if I want to just browse oculus home without putting on my rift, I need my resolution lower as I have sight issues, ahh well guess i'll just have to put up with it for now and see if it ever gets fixed

Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

HollowJack
Explorer
Same problem. I just change the resolution to.. anything else, then when it asks me if I want to keep the settings, I say no, and then it fixes it. I have to do this every time. Super annoying. It went away for a while, but now its back. I had a good few weeks where it stayed the same. I think there is likely a way I could keep it from happening, just not sure how. 9/10 times no one watches me play, I don't really need it to render to the desktop at all.

This reminds me of the bug in virtual desktop where you can't "click". All you have to do is not minimize the oculus screen. It doesn't happen to everyone, so it has to be something fixable.

Jonnyk42o
Honored Guest
If anyone still has this problem, I fixed mine by going into my Nvidia control panel, and under the display tab, then the adjust desktop size and position tab. there is an option for scaling, click on no scaling (instead of full screen or aspect ratio) setting!

Nij
Heroic Explorer

Jonnyk42o said:

If anyone still has this problem, I fixed mine by going into my Nvidia control panel, and under the display tab, then the adjust desktop size and position tab. there is an option for scaling, click on no scaling (instead of full screen or aspect ratio) setting!

Awesome, thanks so much for this, my original issue went away but it came back in a different form, pretty much if I had either oculus home or even steam open, it would open as normal at first and I would use my rift and turn my monitor off and then when I finiahed in my rift and turned my monitor back on either oculus home or even steam were massive, was like the top left of the oculus home screen had zoomed in by about 400% and even closing or opening oculus didn't always fix it, it just came back to it's stupid zoomed in form and only a reboot would sort it, so I've done this now and hopefully it'll be sorted, cheers
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

DeadlyInsight
Honored Guest
Same issue, just opening the oculus app changes my screen size so it looks like movie letter box with black bars above and below the background.  Have to go into Nvidia display manager to reset it to native resolution.
Additional problem:
use to be able to see my desktop when in VR and using the Oculus Dashboard Desktop Icon.  Now, it seems Oculus app is extending my desktop to the Rift S display - and all my desktop icons or anything useful is off the screen and inaccessible.
The desktop icon on the oculus dash use to show me just that - my desktop, now it doesn't.
Anyone else have this issue or have a solution?

Nij
Heroic Explorer

Jonnyk42o said:

Didn't work for me this, my screen does this now after I've opened oculus and used my rift s

qvx5x7arusdq.jpg