cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proximity Sensor Issues

freshclover
Explorer
It works well for the first few minutes, but starts to break down. Smiling, which makes your cheeks puff up and move the headset slightly, makes the display turn off. Lifting my eyebrows seems to also trigger the headset to go off. Looking up, or down low does this.

Lastly, after a few minutes of dealing with this issue, the display turns off and seems to be unable to turn back on unless you continue to press the headset against your face really hard with one of your hands. Which you can't do, since most games, you can't play with just one hand while continuously pressing the headset your face with the other.

11 REPLIES 11

MrBMT
Expert Protege
Personally, I'd try doing a factory reset, and if that fails contact Oculus Support as it could well be a hardware issue in which case they'll organise a replacement for you.

Support is at: support.oculus.com/885981024820727/

ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 & Thunderbolt 3 Add-in card, i7 7700k, 64GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti, 13TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro
Oculus Quest v13 Update, Official Oculus Link Headset Cable

MikeF
Trustee
easy fix is to put a piece of tape over the sensor, but def contact support if still under warranty

MaxiemusPrime
Honored Guest

MikeF said:

easy fix is to put a piece of tape over the sensor, but def contact support if still under warranty

I tried that and it will go into loading then sleep and over again. I feel as if the problem was deteriorating for like 3 days and now it just gave out

MaxiemusPrime
Honored Guest

It works well for the first few minutes, but starts to break down. Smiling, which makes your cheeks puff up and move the headset slightly, makes the display turn off. Lifting my eyebrows seems to also trigger the headset to go off. Looking up, or down low does this.

Lastly, after a few minutes of dealing with this issue, the display turns off and seems to be unable to turn back on unless you continue to press the headset against your face really hard with one of your hands. Which you can't do, since most games, you can't play with just one hand while continuously pressing the headset your face with the other.

Did you end up fixing it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. I noticed that many are faced with the problem of the proximity sensor not working (black screen when starting Quest) and according to the first links in Google there are only questions how to fix it programmatically, and not a single answer. I hope this post will be useful and will be indexed by Google to come out on top on request.

I faced this problem too. At first, the problem was solved by simply gluing the sensor with electrical tape. In the future, the sensor stopped responding to the electrical tape, but a solution was found - to glue a white piece of paper under the electrical tape, then everything worked. But nevertheless, there were fears that the degradation of the sensor would continue, and later it would stop responding to a piece of paper. Since technical support could not provide any solutions for software disconnection of the sensor, I had to look for solutions myself.

As a result, I found the method, not ideal, but nevertheless:
First of all, you need an activated developer mode and installed SideQuest.
Connect the launched Quest to the PC, launch SideQuest, select Run ADB commands > Custom command in the upper right corner, and enter the appropriate command.

Turn off sensor:
shell am broadcast -a com.oculus.vrpowermanager.prox_close

Turn on sensor:
shell am broadcast -a com.oculus.vrpowermanager.automation_disable

Only, alas, after rebooting the Quest, the sensor turns back on. But at least something.
Command can also be added to favorites Run ADB commands > Manage.
If anyone knows how to add a command to the Quest system startup, please help.

shaun3123
Honored Guest
The easiest way to do it is turn on debug mode on your head set with a link cable and download the Developer HUB tool. This tool allow you to disable the the proximity sensor. Turn off the proximity sensor under my device. You might want to turn off tracking on the headset as well because it will display the cant find tracking message. Download the app here
https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/oculus-developer-hub-win/

Jashooter
Explorer

All of these fixes seem plausible, but there's one big problem... to use Sidequest or the Oculus Developer Hub, you need to enable USB Debugging from inside the headset...

RDestry
Honored Guest

My Quest 2 stopped working with the black screen. I can't complete the setup from the headset to get into the debugger mode. Been talking to support for a day they said give them three more business days to get back to me. That means it'll be down until next Thursday. And I'm sure the RMA is going to take a month. So far my experience with my 60-day old headset is pretty much crap.

I was frustrated when I realized this as well. I tried covering with a white piece of paper and it worked. I was previously using 3 layers of painters tape. After covering with the white piece of paper, I was able to allow the debugging mode through the headset. thank heavens... the Developer HUB has the option to completely disable the proximity sensor. DONE. I hope I never have to return to these forums for this issue again lol. 

good luck!