cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 - Locked Out Of Headset - Factory Reset Only Option - Deletes Purchases

Dnich13
Explorer

My son and I both own Quest 2 headsets. It is a fun way to spend time together; hanging out in VR. Recently my son was trying to connect his headset to his grandmother's wifi. He, somehow, accidentally created a pattern pin which locked his headset. He didn't know the pattern to unlock it, since it was created accidently. So his mother and I searched for alternative ways to unlock it. After trying various unsuccessful instructions we found through Google, I contacted a support tech for Oculus using the chat box option. I was informed that resetting the Oculus Quest 2 back to Factory Default settings was the only way to unlock the headset. So, that's what I did. As a result, the games we purchased and all the in-game purchases we had made were lost.

In a day and age when accounts are easily linked and backed up using your email address or your Facebook account, I find it hard to believe that there's no way to retain the purchases we've made on the Quest 2. Also, it's hard to believe that there's no alternative way to unlock the headset without resetting it to factory default. When all else fails on any other device, a technical support person can unlock your device for you as long as you prove it's your device.

Why wasn't the Quest 2 designed with these same features in place? Features that have been built into devices for many years now. Why was this "new" technology designed without these fail safes in mind? The developers have to have known that people, or their children, make human errors. And at some point could lock themselves out of their VR headsets.

The consumer shouldn't have to pay for everything again because of such an error. At the very least they should be credited for the purchases they've made. There are easy ways to quickly verify what they have purchased.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, share your story here. If we don't tell them what the problems are how will they know what needs to be fixed? If enough people speak up they'll fix it. And hopefully do the right thing and credit us for the purchases we all lost.

16 REPLIES 16

Dnich13
Explorer

If any Oculus personnel are reading this, the ticket number for the chat conversation is 4869166. You're attention and diligence regarding this matter is be greatly appreciated.

Your purchases are linked to your account, so as long as you used the same account after the reset, you should be able to re-download everything. I've had to do a couple of factory resets and had no trouble afterwards. If your experience is not the same, that's what you should be taking to support.

We tried, factory default removes all purchsases from the account.

Removes them from the headset, sure, but I don't see how it could (normally) affect the account. It certainly shouldn't and, in my experience, doesn't so that's what support should be looking into.

Also, are your purchases on Steam VR or from the Oculus store? Steam VR keeps everything in your library. The Oculus store, which is what we used, does not retain those purchases after factory default reset.

A mix of both, and both work as they should. Have support actually confirmed that what you are seeing is normal?

Hey Dnich13! Thank you for sharing your story! We want to let you know that factory resetting your headset doesn't delete your purchased games or in game purchases from your account, just the downloaded data from your headset. We would love to look into this further, but since this issue will involve sensitive personal information, we ask that you send us a private message with the following information:

• What in app purchases are missing on your account?
    • Could you please provide photos showing the lack of in app purchases?
  • What purchased games are you missing on your account?
    • Please provide a picture of the purchase receipt and the lack of the game in your game library.
  • Any other information you think would help out would be greatly appreciated!

Once we hear from you via private message we'll be better able to assist in this matter, please select our name to get to our profile page, or click here: https://metaque.st/CommunitySupport. Next, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message. We're looking forward to hearing from you! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

how do I provide a picture of what can only be seem while looking through the headset?

A smartphone camera through the lens is the normal (but imperfect) way.

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?