cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 PC VR Radeon 5700xt mess

Trashkeks
Explorer

Hi guys

I bought my Quest 2 last week and since then i've only got problems.. Biggest problem ist that i can't even play the most games on medium gralhics without textures warping, glitching and jittering. Do you guys think this is related to Windows 11/Steam or do i need new Hardware? My CPU is Ryzen 5 3600 and my graphics card Radeon 5700xt. Seems like nobody has a similar sytem. I'm also thinking of downgrading to win 10.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That's plenty and your CPU isn't an issue either. H264 is known as bogus crap on AMD and no one can say otherwise, thousands of posts here will confirm that and recommend Nvidia at the same time. The reason virtual desktop works good for you is HVEC where AirLink on AMD is locked to 100mbps H264 which makes an already subpar encoder even more subpar. You know why your CPU is fine and your ram is too? I have the same CPU and the same amount of ram but I have a 6800XT. Windows 11 is a mess for link and AMDs encoder is a mess in general. I had to use virtual desktop as well, dropped to windows 10 and AirLink works fine however it's quality is 100x worse than my wife's comparable system with a weaker RTX2070

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Trashkeks
Explorer

Just wanted to tell you that using Virtual desktop was my solution. I wasn't even able to play recroom on low gfx without huge performance problems before. Now i can play it on high without any glitchy, laggy, artifact mess. Also i had to play Trover saves the Universe without shadows, now everything on Epic and it runs like a charm.

Also there are less artifacts then playing my games with air link.

Though i don't seem to have the best solution for wireless play (Router 2 Floors away from PC (wired connection) and my access point (Wifi 5, with 5ghz) linked through a 1 Gbit/s switch. Everything works at acceptable performance and quality now. Even playing games through link cable look and perform way worse!

I hope this solution works for somebody else with similar problems.

That is because AirLink / Link on AMD uses H264 which AMD is horrible at, RDNA2 is better at it but still worlds behind Nvidia 

d0x360
Protege

H.264 works fine on RDNA & RDNA2.  The issue is probably the CPU and I bet the amount of ram on the system combined with the fact that the PC is too far away for their networking equipment.

It's time to either install wifi 6 and an access point on every floor or buy a wifi 6 (not 6e) wifi mesh kit.  That or still holes in the floors and run ethernet.

ROG Crosshair x670e extreme motherboard & Ryzen 7950x3d// 64 gigs DDR5 6800mhz CL28-30-30-78 dual channel 1T// RTX 4090 // 5x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB m.2 SSD's// 6x (RAID10) 4TB WD Black SATA SSD's// Seagate Barracuda 8TB HDD // Custom loop liquid cooling //

I've got 16GB of RAM. Do you thing that's not enough for VR gaming? At least that would be the least expensive to upgrade.

d0x360
Protege

Well it depends.  First off I would say 16 gigs is the minimum for modern gaming.  Since it's Ryzen it should be 2 8 gig sticks so you can use dual channel mode.

Also Ryzen is heavily effected by ram speed and latency.  So it's entirely possible that your ram is the issue.

Even though the GPU is rendering for the quest it still needs the CPU to help it and the CPU is already about as low as I would go but if your ram isn't fast enough with low enough latency it can cut Ryzen performance by 20-30%

First I would suggest downloading DDU and the latest amd GPU drivers then run DDU and have it remove everything.  Also check the box on the main screen that tell windows not to try and fetch drivers.  Then install the downloaded driver, reboot and see if your performance improves.

Next I need more info about your ram.  Lastly wifi is bad news for gaming.  Even wifi6 can have issues if it's setup wrong or has a low end cpu without enough ram.

Its also bad that you're so far away from the router.  You can make it so your wifi covers every inch of your house with signal boosters and repeaters or using other routers (wifi6 ones) as boosters.

No . matter what you do you will probably have issues simply because of the wifi.  That being said we can probably improve it without you needing to spend a dime.

Oh lastly #2 lol.  Go into your router settings and if there is quality of service (QOS) settings then set the priority to video and if possible set the quest 2 has the device with the highest priority.  If qos video doesn't bump your connection then use gaming.

Alright...I've been awake for 4 days, it's time for 6 hours of sleep!

ROG Crosshair x670e extreme motherboard & Ryzen 7950x3d// 64 gigs DDR5 6800mhz CL28-30-30-78 dual channel 1T// RTX 4090 // 5x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB m.2 SSD's// 6x (RAID10) 4TB WD Black SATA SSD's// Seagate Barracuda 8TB HDD // Custom loop liquid cooling //

That's plenty and your CPU isn't an issue either. H264 is known as bogus crap on AMD and no one can say otherwise, thousands of posts here will confirm that and recommend Nvidia at the same time. The reason virtual desktop works good for you is HVEC where AirLink on AMD is locked to 100mbps H264 which makes an already subpar encoder even more subpar. You know why your CPU is fine and your ram is too? I have the same CPU and the same amount of ram but I have a 6800XT. Windows 11 is a mess for link and AMDs encoder is a mess in general. I had to use virtual desktop as well, dropped to windows 10 and AirLink works fine however it's quality is 100x worse than my wife's comparable system with a weaker RTX2070

Banana4Bananas
Heroic Explorer

Not to mention the bitrate and bandwidth consumption over AirLink on AMD isn't enough to even fully saturate a WiFi 5 5Ghz band. You're capped at 100mbps which is low when Nvidia is double that

if his games operate fine on virtual desktop then the issue isn't his WiFi or his systems performance. It's AirLink and it's encoder performance on AMD and Windows 11 Oculus issues. 

Trashkeks
Explorer

Well.. I've tried the clean driver install and it didn't help with air link. I think i'm sticking with virtual Desktop now. Where both, H264 and HVEC work just fine, my games get much more FPS and my bittate settings are set 100+, without any noticable lag issues (until i'm willing to invest in my PC)

Thanks for helping anyway! You're all awesome.