cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 - Way too blurry

Endcha
Explorer
Ok, so I have just received the Quest 2 and the elite strap - unfortunately from the first moment I have noticed how blurry the screen actually is, even at the home environment. Far objects just look pixelated and blurry, there are alot of godrays, small icons from the menu smear if I dare to move my head just a little and overall it is a really disappointing experience.
It almost feels as if I have received a faulty unit since almost everybody is loving this headset and seem to really dig the screen and tell how crisp and sharp it looks, but I have encountered a reddit post with people complaining about the same thing (even Q1 owners), so I am positive that it's something with the hardware: 
www.reddit . com/r/oculus/comments/jadq06/oculus_quest_2_is_it_supposed_to_be_blurry/
To clarify, my IPD is 66, I have attempted to adjust the headset, IPD and the strap for hours with no change at all.
I have opened a support ticket, but would like to know if anybody else experiences the same as I do.
20 REPLIES 20

s2v
Explorer
My IPD is 62.5 and I have the same issue. I use the glasses spacer and wear progressive lenses (nearsighted) when using the headset. For me near objects look crisp but the far objects look really blurry. It is as if my glasses don't have any correction at all.

I notice this in the home environment, in games. The movies seem OK since they are displayed at a fairly close distance. I played Shadow Point last night for a while and the blurriness really bothered me after a while.

I also have a ticket and waiting for a response. BTW, is this forum moderated by Oculus support staff ? Because I haven't seen them respond to a question.

Endcha
Explorer

s2v said:

My IPD is 62.5 and I have the same issue. I use the glasses spacer and wear progressive lenses (nearsighted) when using the headset. For me near objects look crisp but the far objects look really blurry. It is as if my glasses don't have any correction at all.

I notice this in the home environment, in games. The movies seem OK since they are displayed at a fairly close distance. I played Shadow Point last night for a while and the blurriness really bothered me after a while.

I also have a ticket and waiting for a response. BTW, is this forum moderated by Oculus support staff ? Because I haven't seen them respond to a question.

Yeah, this is getting ridiculous now, there must be some faulty headsets and they have to admit their mistake. There are just too many reddit posts regarding blurry screens and no actual comment from them.
As long as they don't admit that there's a hardware problem, I'll just end up returning mine and get the Reverb G2 in December, I can't trust oculus at this current state.
Disappointing, totally ruined my first VR experience. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

s2v said:

For me near objects look crisp but the far objects look really blurry. It is as if my glasses don't have any correction at all.

The display itself has a constant focal distance (about 1.5m) regardless of the distance of objects in the scene.
Our eyes have two closely tied behaviours: vergence (rotate in to see near things: converge. Rotate away to see far things: diverge) and accommodation (change focus to see near and far). Our brains have built up a lifetime reflex of syncing those two together. But in VR (all consumer headsets, not just Oculus) only the vergence works, you have to overcome the accommodation reflex and keep focused at the same distance (around 1.5m).

If looking at distant objects is going blurry, it sounds like your reflex to focus is too strong. It might take some practice to get used to it. At least that's my guess.

s2v said:

Official Oculus support is mostly done using the ticket system. A couple of Oculus staff are around on here.
Most moderation is done by the volunteer team (5 of us) who don't work for Facebook.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kojack said:

s2v said:

For me near objects look crisp but the far objects look really blurry. It is as if my glasses don't have any correction at all.

The display itself has a constant focal distance (about 1.5m) regardless of the distance of objects in the scene.
Our eyes have two closely tied behaviours: vergence (rotate in to see near things: converge. Rotate away to see far things: diverge) and accommodation (change focus to see near and far). Our brains have built up a lifetime reflex of syncing those two together. But in VR (all consumer headsets, not just Oculus) only the vergence works, you have to overcome the accommodation reflex and keep focused at the same distance (around 1.5m).

If looking at distant objects is going blurry, it sounds like your reflex to focus is too strong. It might take some practice to get used to it. At least that's my guess.

s2v said:

Official Oculus support is mostly done using the ticket system. A couple of Oculus staff are around on here.
Most moderation is done by the volunteer team (5 of us) who don't work for Facebook.

Agreed that the blurry images sound strange. Using CV1 ss 2.0 I feel I can see sharp objects like 100 meters away - and even more with the Index. Could there be some compression problems? Would not think TAA can explain this, lol. 
Even forcing IPD 59 instead of my normal 64, CV1 still looks sharp, not blurry - but the image just doesn't feel right.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Endcha
Explorer
I don't know guys, this is my first headset but something about it just doesn't seem right. I'm pretty sure that there are faulty units and it bums me out, I just hope Facebook will admit it to it so I can receive a new one without worrying about it rehappening with no logical explanation. 

s2v
Explorer
Not sure if it this helps but I noticed something interesting yesterday. I was playing with the Sidequest demo "Puzzling Places" which is a 3d jigsaw puzzle. There were completed versions of the puzzles on the "floor" and as I approached one of them (got closer to the ground physically), suddenly the image suddenly became much clearer as I moved like an inch. I couldn't believe it. It was as if the textures suddenly became higher resolution from one position to another. I wonder if it is the game that is controlling this or the Quest 2 software.

I then tried the tip provided in the reddit thread to use Sidequest to increase the texture resolution and cpu/gpu level and that made things much clearer as well (although not as crisp as objects that are at a close distance).

s2v
Explorer
@kojack thank you for your response. It is possible that different people have different ways of adjusting to VR. I was expecting to use my glasses when using the headset but I just wasn't expecting to see blurry images far away when I am nearsighted and am wearing corrective glasses.

I am reading/educating myself on how VR works, about Vergence-accommodation conflict. And thanks for the technical explanation. Although, I don't understand why people who are happy with Quest 1 are suddenly having issues with Quest 2. Is it the single LCD? Is it the limited IPD settings or is it the increased resolution that is different?

Endcha
Explorer
I returned mine. Didn't even get a reply from Oculus support. What a joke.

dangeroubrii
Explorer
I'm sending mine back its way to blurry, its not a problem with my eyes as my friends rift isn't blurry. I think its software issue but they don't seem to be doing anything about it , the latest update for link made no difference :(. Getting the reverb instead now , bit gutted as I really like everything else about it.