cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 stream vr video file from pc via link cable

CyberMirage
Honored Guest

I browsed the forum & didn't see my question addressed anywhere, so I apologize if it's already been answered.

Is there a way to play VRvideo files on my PC by streaming them through the link cable to my Quest 2?  I know I can transfer the file from pc to quest 2 storage & watch it.  I know I can use the quest 2 browser to stream it over the web.  I want to play VRvideo directly from the PC via the link cable, without copying it to my quest 2 before.  Using the virtual desktop app doesn't help either because when I launch the file on the virtual desktop of my PC, it doesn't play in VR, but the side by side view that the desktop would play it as.

7 REPLIES 7

CyberMirage
Honored Guest

So for those new to VR, like me, I'll share my solution.  Honestly, I'm shocked that there was no one who could help me with this, as it's very simple in the end.  If you have a player on your Oculus Quest (I use Skybox), it will play files on your quest.  If you have a player on your PC(again, I use Skybox), it will play files on your PC.  If you load Oculus Link & connect to your PC via the link cable, then launch Skybox from the PC, you are then able to stream VR video files to your headset as they are played on the app on the PC.  Simple.  The only downside is that I was only able to play up to 5k without stutter or lag.  I don't know if this is a PC issue or a data transfer speed issue.

I don't have a laptop yet but this is exactly what I'm looking to do. I was specifically looking for a laptop that would be able to play at least a 5k vr video onto my Q2 headset without lag.

So I have to ask what kind of computer have you been using?

I was looking for a laptop, but would be open to a desktop. I just want to be able to do exactly what you were talking about doing.

Also the laptop I'm currently eyeing is a ASUS - TUF DASH 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel 11th Gen i7 - 16GB Memory - GeForce RTX 3070 - 1TB M.2 PCIEG3 SSD. Any chance you think that'd work?

Mike12306
Adventurer

Works fine for me. I can stream up to 8k with a link cable. It could be your cable or your PC. Recently switched from a laptop with a 2060 to one with a 3070. WHen I was on the 2060, I had this issue. Although I'm not sure if it's because I switched to skyboxvr.  Here's what I'd suggest.
1)try skyboxvr first
2)if that doesn't work, try replacing your link cable

3)if the above 2 don't work, you might need to upgrade your PC. 

It'll obviously work. I've heard bad things about the ASUS TUF models overheating and throttling. I'm on a similar laptop myself. MSI 17" I7-11800h, 3070, 32gb ram, 2x 1tb ssds. (MSI GP76 leopard 11UG). It's been working great on everything I throw at it.

Thanks for the response. Since I'd love to be able to do 8k I'd like to get the one you have for piece of mind. Sadly I can't find any in stock. I found one very similar I imagine would work just as well, but since I'm not tech savvy & its 2 grand I'd  appreciate hearing your thoughts before purchasing.

MSI GP76 Leopard Gaming Laptop: 17.3" 240Hz IPS-Level Display, Intel Core i7-11800H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 16GB, 1TB SSD, Win10, Black (11UG-076)

I know it has less memory than yours but I do have a Mini External SSD Pro Hard Drive 1TB/512GB I imagine I could connect.

I think mine is a Taiwan-only model (gp76 leopard 11UG 827TW). I have yet to find an English page for it.

The laptop you sent me in the link is pretty much the same except mine has a 300hz screen. Not that 300hz is at all necessary for a 3070. Most of the time it won't reach that high. 240hz is plenty. 

Sorry, I should have mentioned that mine came with 16gb of ram and only 1tb of SSD space. Ram and storage are always upgradable on laptops. I opened it up and put in 32gb along with another SSD drive (it supports up to two drives).  Drive space won't have any effect on how the game performs. Just how many games you can install at once. The drive speed will affect your loading speed. Any SSD will be fast. Some are faster than others. With ram, however, I would recommend putting in extra when you get a chance. I noticed that it helps with vr. Games like half-life Alyx really benefit from it. It stuttered a bit on 16gb. 

To sum it up: The laptop you sent me in the link looks solid. I wouldn't worry about performance but do consider putting in extra ram if you get the chance. You can either open it up yourself or send it in for them to do it for you.

Hey Mike one last question. I just noticed the one I was looking to get doesn't have a c port. Does yours?

Do you know if using an adapter on the oculus link cable to connect it to the laptops USB 3.0 port would work just as well?