cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest Freezes on installing apps, not able to update firmware through UI

Elsig
Honored Guest
Ok. I've had this problem since I bought the Quest a few months ago:

When trying to install some apps, It downloads the app and somewhere around 90% the quest freezes and then reboots. This happens on Dance Central DEMO and also BoXVR and updating Dart Vader which is already installed. Some apps are fine, e.g. Netflix and youtubevr installed fine. It seems to be the bigger sized app that freezes.

Steps taken so far:
  1. Previously I've done a factory reset on the quest and then all the apps install. But after a few weeks when install a new game/app the same happens and I have to factory reset! All games that are already installed work fine with no issues.
  2. Recently i was prompted to update firmware from 13 to 14. When I clicked "install" the quest downloaded the firmware but froze and then rebooted without installing...i tried MANY times to update. 
  3. I refuse to factory reset AGAIN as I want my progress in games to stay so...
  4. I decided to sideload v14 firmware update (thank you internet...) which worked fine. My headset is now on V14 as it installed with no issues through sideloading it.
  5. However, I can STILL not install any new large apps, when i try to update Dart Vader it fails, installing Dance Central Demo fails etc...
Any thoughts?
Thanks
1 REPLY 1

Elsig
Honored Guest
One additional comment. When I was on firmware 13 and after having tried to install mutliple times, eventually I could not even try to install. On the UI it said "checking for update" with a spinning icon. I left it for hours and nothing happened.
After I sideloaded firmware 14 it still says "checking for update" but it is now confirmed to be on Fimware 14.