cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest2 WOW! No more dark areas!

Tribb
Protege
Played my first Dead & Burried 2 game on the Quest 2. Areas that were very dark on the Quest are now washed out grey. Like REALLY BAD washed out grey. Quest 1 definitely looked way better overall. On Quest 2 there is no more screen door effect, everything is crisper. But true blacks and dark colors are GONE! Its like if you turned GAMA way up too high on a PC game where there is no more black.

Hope its just this headset.
9 REPLIES 9

kojack
MVP
MVP
The Quest 1 is OLED, Quest 2 is LCD. All LCD headsets (any company) have worse black levels than OLED headsets, its just the way they work.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

ldorsey
Explorer
As others have already said, the main reason for this is that the Quest 2 uses LCD for its screen. The Quest 1 uses OLED, which is why the colors are so much better on it. (Sidenote : the same washed out color also appeared on the Oculus Go.)

Tribb
Protege
I get it, but I didn't realize HOW BAD the Quest2 dark areas would be. Some people are saying you can side load a gamma adjustment.

Reviews of the HP G2 are saying that their LCD display is as good as OLED.

The Quest2's current settings, in Dead & Burried 2, are IMHO unplayablely bad.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Tribb said:

I get it, but I didn't realize HOW BAD the Quest2 dark areas would be. Some people are saying you can side load a gamma adjustment.

I'm still not experiencing this extreme unplayable "dark area" issue that some people report. I posted some of the screenshots from Infected the Manor and SW: Squadrons. In Squadrons, the dark areas are beautiful. In the Manor, there was a slight Mura Effect. But nothing unplayable. I got to the end of the Manor just fine.

This area had the most noticeable Mura Effect for me:

54orhayrozyi.png

And it's not just me. Tom released his review and reported great visuals as well:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/772041/#Comment_772041
 Q2 Blacks are not quite as black as OLED but not greyed out like other LCD's. 

I guess I'll try D&B 2 next to test this out.

Nikorasu
Adventurer
If you use SideQuest, you can try running this command through it's 'send command' thing.
adb shell settings put system screen_brightness 0
This won't help much, but it improves/darkens the blacks just enough that I think I notice when it's not enabled. Makes the black levels look closer to the Oculus Go, which is a little more acceptable, just don't expect a miracle, it's only a tiny improvement. Also AFAIK this setting resets if you reboot the headset.

Tribb
Protege
Thanks Nik, will give it a try.

D&B2 Canyon map is what I tried, my favorite map.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Tribb said:

On Quest 2 there is no more screen door effect, everything is crisper. But true blacks and dark colors are GONE! 

Like some say  😉

Milton Friedman quote Theres no such thing as a free lunch

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Tribb said:

I wouldn't bet all my savings on that being even remotely true 😉 I think one person said that - you can probably find many Quest 2 users who consider their hmds to have great blacks - and many Quest 2 users who will disagree.

Depends on the game or app you're using. Using lcd, black areas will look perfectly fine and even totally black, when there's a sufficient amount of light present to provide a contrast - but the less light there is, the more gray-ish blacks become. 
Also the minimum lighting thresholds for making out objects differ between lcd and oled. Even with the CV1 spud I've experienced scenes where you can make out objects in the darkness using oled, but it all fades to gray with lcd - that's why you'll depend much more on the flashlight in Saints and Sinners using lcd, but don't need the flashlight much with CV1. Felt much more like a blind man in that game with lcd, while oled gave me back my eyes, lol.  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Tribb said:

It is a common problem with all LCD panels, they can't produce the dark blacks and vibrant colour and hues of a Oled panal, and the fact that all LCDs suffer from some form of back light bleed though also does not help, and is the main cause of that grey haze affect and washed out screen you are seeing, but unfortunatly at present there is no way in the HMD itself for the end user to fine tune the display.........so all that can be hoped for is FB add these settings at some point.

But in saying that if you have tried 5g streaming with the virtual desktop app on your Q2 you will find that the app has a brighness setting slider that you can lower, and i can tell you games like SkyrimVr look vastly improved on the Q2 when you cut the brightmess/gamma settings way down to 30%, because on default setting is unplayable at night or in dark caves because all you see is a wash of grey haze, but drop down the gamma via the app and it's once again a game filled with nice darks and vibrant colour hues......so if you have not tried it i suggest you should as it is quite literally night and day, rather than over bright and grey. 😉
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.