cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeatable BSOD APC_INDEX_MISMATCH in Windows 8.0

AtariHistorian
Honored Guest
With SDK 0.5.0.1 and 0.6.0.0, I have run into an error condition which I have reproduced multiple times. It results in a blue screen of death with an APC_INDEX_MISMATCH. That's usually due to a driver issue. Steps to reproduce:

CONTROL-SHIFT-ESCAPE [or manually run task manager]
If necessary, click on "More Details" on the lower left of the window.
Click the Performance Tab
Click "Open Resource Monitor" at the bottom of the window
I usually go to the Memory tab, but that probably isn't necessary.
Click on the Image field to sort by process name.
Click on the CHECKBOX next to OVRServer_x64.exe (not the name)
Enjoy BSOD.

I may not be checking these forums. Reddit preferred if you have followups.
Atari_Historian
12 REPLIES 12

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you provide the log files from this guide?

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23521
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

AtariHistorian
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
Can you provide the log files from this guide?

Completed.

I believe I still have a fairly clean image that I can boot off of, if needed. I'm wondering if it might be the USB 3.0 port that I've got it plugged into which could actually be causing this. I'll try the 2.0 port in the meantime and let you know if it makes a difference.

EDIT: Nope, still a problem on the USB 2.0 port. At this point, I'll leave it with your team.

cybereality
Grand Champion
After following your instructions, I received a blue screen as well (but with a different error message).

Can you please upload those log files as attachments to this thread? Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

jherico
Adventurer
This looks like the same issue (or a related issue) I reported back in October.
Brad Davis - Developer for High Fidelity Co-author of Oculus Rift in Action

AtariHistorian
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
After following your instructions, I received a blue screen as well (but with a different error message). Can you please upload those log files as attachments to this thread? Thanks.

I'd rather not have my personal information and configuration publicly posted. I did send it to you in a private message. Is there an alternative?

cybereality
Grand Champion
That's fine. I have created a bug report for the issue. Thanks.

LockonStratos00
Honored Guest
currently running 0.8 runtime and having the same issue on windows 10 help?

VRKibou
Explorer
I get the same thing as well. I plug in camera and DK2, and the minute I open the config tool and pick the demo scene, the preview window starts to open, the Rift never lights up, computer freezes, and after a little bit I get the APC_INDEX_MISMATCH error.

Even worse, if I leave the Rift's USB connection plugged in when I turn it on, the computer won't even *BOOT*, and just hangs at a blinking cursor.

I thought it might be the Asmedia USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard, but it also has native USB 3.0 ports direct to the Intel chipset (from mobo headers you connect to case or backplate). Still no dice, same behavior.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the 0.8 runtime, no joy. I previously had the 0.7 runtime installed -- maybe there are bits of it still left around?

My rig:

Windows 8.1, patched up, except for privacy-reducing telemetry updates.
ASUS X99 Deluxe mobo
i7-5930K (NOT overclocked)
32G Corsair RAM (I forget the model, but NOT overclocked!)
2X GTX980, Driver 361.75 (same behavior on previous driver revisions), SLI is turned *OFF*.
USB 3.0 ports from both Asmedia chipset and direct from X99 chipset (same behavior regardless of which I use)

Running the DK2 on the other card, or on the same card as my main display has no difference in behavior.

I know the DK2 works because I have used it on other systems. The configuration tool reports it as connected just like on any other system. When I try to use the demo screen, the lockup/BSOD happens without the Rift's LCD turning on. The preview window opens but hangs partway through the opening, leaving a semi-transparent blank background at the point the computer freezes. The BSOD happens shortly after.

I'm giving up at this point. I wonder if the same thing will happen with the CV1 I preordered. =(

EDIT: To clarify, the Rift's power button functions and the amber LED lights up on it when it is on, and I can turn it on and off. It seems to behave normally until I actually try to send video to it.

VRKibou
Explorer
*SOLVED* the issue was due to lingering DisplayLink drivers. Uninstalling DisplayLink is *NOT* enough. After uninstall, I had to use a cleaner program ( http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?d=64 ) to get rid of any vestiges of the drivers.

After I did this, my Rift magically started working with no BSOD.

This is frustrating to me as my case has a built-in USB display that requires DisplayLink to work!

Anyway, hopefully OP can get his system to work with this tool. REMEMBER to use the uninstaller tool first, *then* run the cleaner. Instructions are at http://support.displaylink.com/knowledg ... software-o