cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Lenses?

LuridFTW
Explorer
So I have a scuff Mark that’s on my right eye lens, it’s not really that big of an issue at the moment but I’m wondering if you’re able to replace the lenses. I cannot find any lens protectors and if you can’t change the lense or have them replace for a fair price that is pretty outrageous. I hope you’re not telling me if I scratch up some $30 Lenses that I need a new $400 oculus rift.

Does anyone know if they can be replaced for a fair price or a website that makes good lense protectors, because amazon sells nothing good for this.
17 REPLIES 17

falken76
Expert Consultant
You can't buy those parts, you'd have to find an engineer friend with free time and a rift on ebay or something that they could harvest parts from and just hope they have the skill to repair it.  3D Printer forums are full of engineers that might be able to do this type of work, weather they'd want to do it or not.... I don't know.

You could always try opening a support ticket to see what they say.

LuridFTW
Explorer

falken76 said:

You can't buy those parts, you'd have to find an engineer friend with free time and a rift on ebay or something that they could harvest parts from and just hope they have the skill to repair it.  3D Printer forums are full of engineers that might be able to do this type of work, weather they'd want to do it or not.... I don't know.

You could always try opening a support ticket to see what they say.

Yeah I figured I wouldn’t be able to replace them myself. I’m going to see what the community has to say about this before taking time from support.

If anyone has had their lenses replaced by oculus how long did it take and how much did it cost?

If someone knows where to buy protective lens covers please let me know.

LZoltowski
Champion
You can get protective lenses here (just select the NON prescription option) http://vr-lens-lab.com/lens-adapters/

As for replacement of lenses, here is a complete teardown by iFix it https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Oculus+Rift+CV1+Teardown/60612

As you can see not an easy feat. Looks like the Fresnel lenses are glued to the black frame.

Can I ask how did you manage to damage the lens? With proper use, I don't see how they can get scratched. Had mine since pre-orders and not a single mark.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Aerotune
Explorer
I had one smear of grease from my hair on my right lens that looked like a scratch even through a magnifying glass. It was really difficult to get rid of. I gently rubbed in circles with a microfiber cloth for 15 minutes. I couldn't clean it perfectly but it went from being a small blurry blob in my vision to me not noticing it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got scratches on my right lens from wearing eyeglasses while wearing the rift.  Even though they say it's doable, they never tell you you can't replace the lenses at all.  Support told me I had to buy a refurbished HMD.  Thery offered me a one time discount, but I had to make the purchase within 10 days of issuance.  The Refub was still going to cost $350 us.  I don't have that kind of money sitting around the house.  Their out of their minds.

Robot_Rebellion
Explorer

You can get protective lenses here (just select the NON prescription option) http://vr-lens-lab.com/lens-adapters/

As for replacement of lenses, here is a complete teardown by iFix it https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Oculus+Rift+CV1+Teardown/60612

As you can see not an easy feat. Looks like the Fresnel lenses are glued to the black frame.

Can I ask how did you manage to damage the lens? With proper use, I don't see how they can get scratched. Had mine since pre-orders and not a single mark.

Please do not insinuate that this person was reckless in causing his lenses to be scratched. Acrylic is a material that picks-up scratches very easily! Which makes me wonder why they did not put a scratch resistant coating on them like with glasses. I have fine scratches on my lenses simply from using the Oculus provided cloth (plus microscopic debris that inevitably builds-up) to wipe oil and sweat from the lenses. To avoid scratching these lenses you need the meticulous attention of a clean room technician working at a chip manufacture! A level of patience most people do not possess! Even if you clean the cloth everyday, all it takes is some silica dust or some other mineral dust landing on the cloth (dusty basement) and you have those fine scratches that produce blurry halos! Bare acrylic was not a smart chose for a lens material especially considering they can't be replaced! Now I have to shell-out $20 for a scratch removal kit and there's no guarantee the results will be worth the time and investment! Obviously, if they admit that the lenses scratch easily they'd have a PR nightmare on their hands. When money's involved (investors), It's always better to deny, deny, deny...

3blendee
Honored Guest
Oh yeah, there's a small smudge located in the center of the right side of my Rift S's lenses and I can't tell if it was because of my cloth or my eyeglasses. Either way, not much I can do about it except ignore it. 

RediJediUK
Honored Guest
Mine also have a small cluster of scratches on one eye from glasses use. I'm think I've punched myself in the face playing pavlov. I'm sure many opticians or photography outfits could buff scratches out of lenses, or there'll be a specific service. If brave look for a micro mesh kit on ebay. If no anti scratch coating on lenses there'd be no problem.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352664292434

Ari613
Explorer

LuridFTW said:

So I have a scuff Mark that’s on my right eye lens, it’s not really that big of an issue at the moment but I’m wondering if you’re able to replace the lenses. I cannot find any lens protectors and if you can’t change the lense or have them replace for a fair price that is pretty outrageous. I hope you’re not telling me if I scratch up some $30 Lenses that I need a new $400 oculus rift.

Does anyone know if they can be replaced for a fair price or a website that makes good lense protectors, because amazon sells nothing good for this.

I have every OEM replacement part for the Oculus Rift CV1 VR Headset. Contact me for any repair parts needed. You can email me at rescomfxd100@gmail.com Every part, even the screws!