cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request timed out , couldn't initiate tracking issue

Kervos
Honored Guest
   I'm aware that this issue has been mentioned a lot of times, in which most of them have the solution of dimming your room or not having lights, updating usb drivers, using different usb ports, etc, I have tried all of them, yet I'm still getting the error "Request Timed out - Couldn't Initiate tracking", during the sensor tracking part of the setup. This should really be something that has some sort of solid response from the developers since a lot of people tend to be having this issue. I have tried reinstalling Oculus, rebooting, redo full setup, moving sensors, moving mirrors, removed any light source, switch usb ports, reinstall drivers, and disabled usb suspension. I got off my rift for about a month or two without changing anything at all, including my sensor setup, so I'm really confused as to why this is happening when it was just working fine a month ago. Hoping anyone out there can shed some light because I've been trying to fix this all week without any hope and it's really driving me crazy
7 REPLIES 7

syclonix
Explorer
Hey Kervos, I am having the same issue as well and it is really frustrating. Tracking was working perfectly up until my sensor fell down and I had to rerun the sensor setup which keeps giving me the "Request timed out, couldn't initiate tracking issue" error. Things I've tried:
  1. Changed batteries in Touch Controllers
  2. Bought dedicated USB expansion card (tried both Inateck and Startech)
  3. Tried all different USB port combinations including putting 1 sensor on USB 3.0 and 2 sensors on USB 2.0
  4. Tried moving sensors closer together / Moved from wall to desk height
  5. Covered Mirrors in Room
  6. During Sensor Setup tried squeezing Touch triggers all around the room and at different heights and angles
  7. Tried reinstalled Oculus Sensor drivers through Device Manager
  8. Uninstalled Oculus Software / Deleted all temporary left over files and then reinstalled software
None of the above so far has worked. My TEMPORARY SOLUTION has been to skip sensor setup (guardian setup also won't work properly if you've skipped sensor setup. You may have to wait a minute after clicking "Skip" before Oculus Home continues. Once you've skipped the setup you should be able to still play games with the caveat of 1) no guardian boundary system and 2) your orientation in-game might be messed up and cannot be re-centered.

Can anyone else please help?

syclonix
Explorer
*UPDATE*
I found a workaround: After skipping sensor setup (see above post) I was able to initiate sensor setup inside the HMD. This bypasses that stupid step where you normally have to hold the trigger to initiate sensor tracking. Instead you just press the trigger once and viola, sensors are not properly configured.

After this I was also able to setup the Guardian System Boundaries again.

This is still a workaround and may not work for everyone. I hope Oculus fixes the stupid Request timed out error in the initial Oculus First Time Setup.

syclonix
Explorer
*UPDATE 2*
Even after applying my workaround above and getting back the Guardian Boundaries, my front orientation in VR is offset by about 45 degrees. This unfortunately causes issues with the usable "Play Area" since Oculus will define the usable play area as a rectangle incribed within the Guardian Boundaries. If you can imagine trying to draw a rectangle inside another rectangle at a 45 degree offset, you'll see why this is an issue--the Play Area shrinks dramatically.

I tried running Oculus Sensor Setup again from the Oculus Home software (as opposed to inside the Headset), but alas I still get the "Request Timed Out" error whenever I try to hold down the Touch controller's trigger buttons. This is really frustrating so I hope Oculus fixes this issue soon.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I'd recommend submitting a bug report so we can look into it. You can do this in the Help Center (lower left corner of Oculus app by clicking Provide Feedback). Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

syclonix
Explorer

I'd recommend submitting a bug report so we can look into it. You can do this in the Help Center (lower left corner of Oculus app by clicking Provide Feedback). Thanks.

Bug report submitted. It appears the bug report doesn't submit my error logs, if you need those please let me know. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

smodtactical
Honored Guest
My Rift has been working fine for many months but now I have this problem. So annoying. I guess I'll try to disconnect other usb peripherals? I did it in a dimmed room and its the same.

chosko
Honored Guest

2021 and the same problem.  Guess I'll upgrade