cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift CV1 flickering to black with RTX 3080

tgribs
Explorer
Hey all,

I just set up my Rift CV1 on my new system and I'm running in to a serious problem. Whenever I launch a game, within moments the display on the rift flickers to black, and then back to the game again. This flickering increases in frequency and within a minute the screen remains black. I tried my Rift CV1 on my old system (RTX 2060 Super) and zero issues, every game plays perfectly fine. I've update the firmware on my Rift and my GPU drivers are up to date. I'm not using any extension cables or any additional hardware, just the rift, sensors, and controllers. I'm completely at a loss as to what is causing this. If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it.

System specs:

Intel i7-10700K
nVidia RTX 3080
32GB RAM 3400Mhz
4 REPLIES 4

IHaveBadWiFiBro
Protege
I am having the same issue but with my Rift S I have graphical stutters with my 3080, it's unplayable, I can play VR with my 3080 but it's terrible experience, it stutters and jitters every 2 seconds with head movement, I did testing myself and I own a (GTX 1080 Ti)  and (GTX 960 2GB) both cards work flawlessly with Oculus, ZERO ISSUES! EVEN MY 960 IS WORKING BETTER THAN MY 3080!

I guarantee this is a driver issue with these 3080 cards, I've used the 960 & 1080 Ti in the same slot and they work perfectly, if I want to play VR I need to have my 1080 Ti plugged into my 2nd PCI-E slot until 3080 issues are resolved, it's ridiculous, it's not your computers fault, nor is it the headset, it's the drivers, they need better optimizations!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Oculus is known to take several months to support new gpus. Best thing to do may be to contact Oculus Support and inform them of your problems - but maybe you already did that.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

tgribs
Explorer

I am having the same issue but with my Rift S I have graphical stutters with my 3080, it's unplayable, I can play VR with my 3080 but it's terrible experience, it stutters and jitters every 2 seconds with head movement, I did testing myself and I own a (GTX 1080 Ti)  and (GTX 960 2GB) both cards work flawlessly with Oculus, ZERO ISSUES! EVEN MY 960 IS WORKING BETTER THAN MY 3080!

I guarantee this is a driver issue with these 3080 cards, I've used the 960 & 1080 Ti in the same slot and they work perfectly, if I want to play VR I need to have my 1080 Ti plugged into my 2nd PCI-E slot until 3080 issues are resolved, it's ridiculous, it's not your computers fault, nor is it the headset, it's the drivers, they need better optimizations!

I figured that was  the case, I keep seeing people having issues with the 3000 series cards on both the Rift and the Rift S. Some problems dating back to last fall, but I've yet to find a single answer. I'm hoping if it's drivers that nVidia and Oculus get on it.

tgribs
Explorer

RuneSR2 said:

Oculus is known to take several months to support new gpus. Best thing to do may be to contact Oculus Support and inform them of your problems - but maybe you already did that.

I opened a ticket with them, but I figured in the mean time I'd ask the community, ya never know who might have found a work around!