cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift HDMI is Not Being Detected on Win10 x64

Astyrrean
Explorer
[EDIT: I TRIED AN HDMI->DISPLAYPORT ADAPTOR AND NOW EVERYTHING WORKS FINE. THIS IS THE ONE I GOT: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B00K0UDYLM. NOTE "HDMI NOT DETECTED" PROBLEM PERSISTS IF JUST USING HDMI]

Howdy all

I am a happy owner of a new CV1

I, too, have come across the error (Rift HDMI is Not Being Detected).

The funny thing is that reinstalling Nvidia drivers (365.19) fixes the issue for me - until I put the PC to sleep again or reboot. After that, again no HDMI detected. If I reinstall drivers, the HMD is again detected over HDMI and everything works wonders.

What gives?

This is with a Skylake-based EVGA 980 SC (SLI, but with SLI disabled) system running Windows 10.

Best,

Astyrrean

DXDiag attached / PCPartPicker view here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FNWZYJ

PS
My main display is connected via DisplayPort and nothing is connected to the motherboard's HDMI input. Both the Rift and the main display are connected to the primary GPU (as SLI is disabled, the secondary GPU is effectively offline).

79 REPLIES 79

Anonymous
Not applicable
So you don't have any receipts huh. The last thing is to install Rift on another PC to test or try a complete fresh Install which is best anyways after these major OS Updates and more so if previously upgraded from lower OS to be sure it is the very best operation. Install with Antivirus OFF, Firewall can be left ON, use normal method NOT Run As Admin.

fjlmal
Protege
I do have a receipt, but the seller is not among the listed official sellers from Oculus, so they say they cannot do much more. I have fresh installed windows but it haven't worked, I've used the normal method and I've installed even before installing a anti virus. Sadly the same problem remains =/  I am just waiting for some firmware or oculus' app update before buying a new cable ( or really buying a HTC Vive )

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you delete System Partitions and OS Partition & Create New and install from the latest Media Tool via USB/DVD?
Did you disable Windows Defender?
If the last game you played was BOXVR you could easily have a kinked cable. Try asking Support for a replacement cable only.
In the case of the Sensors do not connect these until it asks and do perform any updates. Look at the top right in Home on desktop.

WavformVR
Explorer

Astyrrean said:

[EDIT: I TRIED AN HDMI->DISPLAYPORT ADAPTOR AND NOW EVERYTHING WORKS FINE. THIS IS THE ONE I GOT: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B00K0UDYLM. NOTE "HDMI NOT DETECTED" PROBLEM PERSISTS IF JUST USING HDMI]

Howdy all

I am a happy owner of a new CV1

I, too, have come across the error (Rift HDMI is Not Being Detected).

The funny thing is that reinstalling Nvidia drivers (365.19) fixes the issue for me - until I put the PC to sleep again or reboot. After that, again no HDMI detected. If I reinstall drivers, the HMD is again detected over HDMI and everything works wonders.

What gives?

This is with a Skylake-based EVGA 980 SC (SLI, but with SLI disabled) system running Windows 10.

Best,

Astyrrean

DXDiag attached / PCPartPicker view here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FNWZYJ

PS
My main display is connected via DisplayPort and nothing is connected to the motherboard's HDMI input. Both the Rift and the main display are connected to the primary GPU (as SLI is disabled, the secondary GPU is effectively offline).

I just reinstalled my Win 10 and Oculus after upgrading to a gtx 1080. Everything was fine until I had to install my oculus. Did have problems in the past but this time it really wore me out. I got it to work and I also learned a ting or two. 1st You must install the patch after Oculus installation. I assumed the patch was for the runtime problem back in Feb or something. No. It's part of the installation. Rift will not find your sensors without that patch.
2nd My Pc wouldn't detect my headset. It worked once or twice but it took a while. So then I switched to another 3.0 port. Sounds simple but these geniuses forgot to advise us that oculus is going thru your ports in order. Find your port order and plug all of your oculus gear into the top 3 3.0 usb ports. I got a lucky guess but my headset was detected immediately after several restarts and waiting. I hope this helps save someone hours of disappointment and stress. Your gear is fine. It's Oculus's support that's busted.

WavformVR
Explorer
I just reinstalled my Win 10 and Oculus after upgrading to a gtx 1080. Everything was fine until I had to install my oculus. Did have problems in the past but this time it really wore me out. I got it to work and I also learned a ting or two. 1st You must install the patch after Oculus installation. I assumed the patch was for the runtime problem back in Feb or something. No. It's part of the installation. Rift will not find your sensors without that patch.
2nd My Pc wouldn't detect my headset. It worked once or twice but it took a while. So then I switched to another 3.0 port. Sounds simple but these geniuses forgot to advise us that oculus is going thru your ports in order. Find your port order and plug all of your oculus gear into the top 3 3.0 usb ports. I got a lucky guess but my headset was detected immediately after several restarts and waiting. I hope this helps save someone hours of disappointment and stress. Your gear is fine. It's Oculus's support that's busted.

mxaniac
Honored Guest
Old post but since a search leads you here I'll give my input.  I couldn't get HDMI detected via any adapter.  That's because my Nvidia card detects monitors on boot and only enables the ports with a device attached.  If you aren't wearing the rift (or covering the sensor) the display adapter doesn't detect the rift and enable the port it's connected to.

WaifuToast
Honored Guest
Hey, 

I've tried all these things and had a similar issue to the OP.
Anybody scrolling by and seeing nothing is working, I recommend this:

1. Unplug the cord behind the face cushion
2. Keep all other Oculus cords plugged in
3. Force quit Oculus software
4. Reinstall Nvidia Drivers

-your screen may flash black. In that, you may find that Oculus opens on its own and now detects your headset's HDMI.

ahumblebrag
Honored Guest

Thanks brother!   Disable/Enable worked for me.  

Matt - 

RicardoRLatbc
said:

I have been investigating about this and looks like there is two types of issue here.
1 - Hardware Issue - The HDMI cable from the rift is loose and you need to push the connector in (It didnt work for me).
2 - Software / Firmware / Driver issue -  It appears that this is the issue I'm facing, no matter how many times I pulled tha cable off either from the computer or from the Rift I always get the HDMI not detected message. The only thing that solved this issue was disabling the video card from device manager and enable it again, everytime I want to use the Rift I have to do that, have to say Im really dissapointed, never had have so many issues with any product.

Its a shame, for the price I Payed for the Rift here in Mexico (around $800 dollars from Amazon) I expected a lot more...

The most frustrating part is that we dont have any official response from Oculus about this...

Lucas_Perlin
Honored Guest

I had this problem on my acer nitro 5 laptop, after searching hard and contacting Oculus support, I installed the older version of RunTime, because my oculus would be DK2, and it solved my problem, it didn't recognize in the app Oculus the HDMI, now works normally.
RunTime link.

Hi!
Thanks for helping me. This program https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/oculus-runtime-for-windows/
Solve my problem!

blaqsaqattaq
Honored Guest

I had this problem on my acer nitro 5 laptop, after searching hard and contacting Oculus support, I installed the older version of RunTime, because my oculus would be DK2, and it solved my problem, it didn't recognize in the app Oculus the HDMI, now works normally.
RunTime link.

Hi!
Thanks for helping me. This program 

all this does is make my oculus app stop working and asks me to repair it