cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Audio issues.

MasterPanzie
Protege
I've looked as far as I could and have gone through oculus support for a few months to no avail. I've even replaced my rift. 

Here are the details.

My PC
Intel Core I7-5930K
CPU @ 3.5GHz
32GB RAM
Nvidia GTX980 (x2)
Windows 10 Pro v 1909

Upon booting my pc (having my rift plugged in before I boot) and changing my audio to Rift S. My entire PC audio is output to my rift.

Okay so far so good.

It will play audio out like a speaker all day no issues.

I put the rift on. Oculus home loads.

So far so good.

Roughly 5 minutes pass and theres a short freeze. Loss of tracking. Sound halts. Environment does that nuasiating thing where it doesnt stay  on the ground.

This short pause lasts like one second, then everything returns to normal with the exception that the sound is crashed and I will periodically get thos short freezes intermittently.

The ONLY things I've been able to find that restores sound is by going to settings and restarting oculus and also by unplugging and replugging in the headset. But the issue still persists shortly after replugging it in. 

When I say no sound I mean none through oculus period. My game (if attempting to play one) audio stops mirroring on my external audio. My headset doesn't make a chime when I tap the volume selector through my PC. Test this device doesnt make a chime. Nothing. And yes. All of these steps DO work in the short window before the audio cuts out. 

I've reinstalled oculus 100% (manually deleting EVERYTHING) and checked ALL of my USB ports. Including updating them AND plugging my headset into all of them individually. 

Yes I've set it as my default device yes it's on a 3.0 and yes i have run the windows troubleshooter to no avail. 

I've done everything short of swinging it by the cord and vaulting it out my window. 

Please help me. Oculus support has been great but maybe someone else has a stupid fix? I just wanna play games man. 
56 REPLIES 56

Alright so just for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread like I did I was able to find a permanent solution. After 2 days of full play sessions I have not had a single recurrence.

I did a full bios update and in the bios settings locked my GPU to pcie 3.0 speeds. Just this alone has fixed it so far after 2 long 5 hour sessions no problems at all. 

All troubles from Windows. This **bleep**ty system can’t get itself permissions. All you need to do is just check the Windows events>System and check the errors. I believe you will find the error 10016. Fix it with giving rights to appid and clsid (google it). Problem solved.

years later and this is still an issue, whats this inateck workaround you mentioned? im losing my mind and this headset is no longer supported anywhere and if i have to buy a new cable its $150 :))

okay i have so many questions for you, wise wizard. i have followed so many tutorials and not one of them have led me to the right place, if you have the time i would love to hear back from you, or anybody else who can help me solve my specific error 10016!

First of all you need to check what the error was it: "Windows event>System" when Oculus will crash. 10016 solution: FreeBooter's answer https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/102665-event-id-10016-clsid-appid.html

As a Ph3lix004 I also did a bios update (motherboard - asus tuf x570 plus) and it solved the audio problem for me (thx for that), but vr crashing after a few minutes of play or black screen remained.

I tried literally everything (all usb 3/3.1 ports, plug/unplug, reinstall oculus sw, cleaning oculus internals, checking win events). It was driving me a little big crazy because I use BeatSaber/BoxVR almost daily as preworkout session, hence I almost bought a new VR set (it was ruining my workout schedule for a weeks). But today I was able to find a solution. As dumb as it sounds, it was my extension cables. For the last 3 years I used club3d 5m extension cables for ceiling mount that are fully capable to extend oculus usb and hdmi signals, it was ok until the last month when I started experienced these issues. Today I realised that the issue can also be caused by extension cables and tried it without them. That solved it, I was able to play 90min extreme (very sweat intensive) session without a slight problem. Later I plugged it again via extension cables to make sure they are bricked, indeed they are.

So the outcame of this is that you should always check your cables first (especially when using extension cables like me).

maxisan137
Honored Guest

To whoever reads this in the future: I have been having the exact same issue described here and yesterday finally managed to solve it after over a year of suffering.

My system is:

Ryzen 5 3600XT

NVIDIA RTX 3070

32GB DDR4 RAM

My symptoms were the same as described here, except I noticed that it would only happen in multiplayer games, such ash VRChat, Pavlov and Onward. When playing any other games, or these same games in singleplayer mode, I never had any issues. but when trying to play on any multiplayer server, the headset would shortly flip out and I would lose sound. Sometimes it would be just the sound, sometimes I got the black screen with orange lights and static noise. One time it was so bad, my whole computer crashed and restarted itself. I could sometimes get 15-20min of playing before it kicked in, but other times it would only take 10 seconds.

I've been trying all possible solutions I could find, until yesterday one finally worked. All I had to do is go to my BIOS and change one setting - switched PCIe speed from Auto to 3.0. That's it. That's all it took. I can finally enjoy my games.

No idea what was causing it, but I suspect some kind of compatibility issue with the headset speakers/microphone, because I noticed that it would happen more often in games with many people yelling in their microphones. For reference, my motherboard is a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite. Home this helps someone.