EDIT : Solved! I just received my externally powered USB hub and it solved the problem. It seems the available power was the issue causing all others.
ORIGINAL POST :
I've already submitted a ticked to support with my logs attached, but I was thinking posting here might help too.
The first time we plugged the Rift, we had no problem. From the second time forward, we've had trouble getting it going. It feels like we've gone through every possible error message :
- USB not working;
- No image at all, even though we've got both green checkmarks;
- Three dots endlessly;
- Sensors can't track headset
- Every now and then, a "USB port not recognized, reset failed" in the device manager, but only one in fifty times or so
- Display Port not connected;
- The hands showing up at a weird place, like several feet under the floor, and not moving from there
- The image and everything showing up, but the image would stay still even when we'd move our heads (so not movement detected).
Everytime, we'd get it to work after 10-20 minutes by a random combination of plugging/unplugging, restarting the computer and uninstalling a bunch of Oculus stuff from the Device Manager. Lately, though, it doesn't work at all. We're stuck on the setup on a "no sensor detected, please unplug and try again" message, with green checkmarks on the app.
Here's everything that we've tried :
- Restarting the computer;
- Unplugging and plugging again, making sure the USB is plugged in first, then the Display Port when the light is white;
- Updating the drivers of everything Rift related, chipset, USB and motherboard;
- Plugging in every USB slot and Display Port on the computer;
- Removing every other USB device except for K+M and unchecked the "allow computer to turn off to save power" on every USB slot in Device Manager;
- Unplugging the cord directly in the headset (twice);
- Uninstalling and reinstalling the app, including using specialized software to remove the rest of the files between each reinstall;
- Repairing the app;
- Using the "drivers" file to update the Oculus drivers;
- Enabling the Beta thing and letting the app update after that.
Our USB is 3.1 and the computer is recent (bought last year) and a gaming computer. Specs shouldn't be a problem. USB are Intel, which are compatible (checked with the Oculus compatibility app). We're using Windows 10.
Since we've got it to work multiple times seemingly randomly, we know the hardware is capable of working. Once it works, it doesn't stop working until we turn it off.
We have another computer, but it's a very old one (7+ years) and it probably couldn't run it, so I haven't tested it on another computer.
We've tried absolutely everything we could find online. At this point, we're pretty desperate. I've joined our system logs. Please find what's causing the compability issue. The product is so great and we've been having so much fun with it.