cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S sensors not working?

kacper.zawadzki.90
Honored Guest

So ive been trying for a few hours now to get my rift working (its been working perfect for about 1.5year now) and in the devices tab it shows up that theres no display connected so ive been trying to reconnect and swich the port with my monitor and nothing works.

When i try device setup it shows that the display cable connects after a few reconnects but then it wont go through the sensor check. Ive tried multiple usb ports, both usb3 and regular still nothing so i have to cancel in then the displayport warning is gone but i either only have a black screen or 3 loading dots. Ive had the 3 dots issue before but i think that went away by itself or a driver update

I have the latest drivers 511.23 nvidia

Tried beta mode

now i have the headset lit and the 3 dots are up and i can see the controllers but also notice that the tracking is odd. Also can hear the main menu music

8 REPLIES 8

Stumps301
Honored Guest

I'm getting the exact same problem.  Tried everything including wiping my machine out and going back to Windows 10 and nothing seems to work.  Headset sensors come up with an error and suggest trying a different USB port.  I am currently going backwards and forwards with oculus support but not getting anywhere.  I have read on other sites that this can be caused by a firmware issue but can't find any way to try and roll it back.  Hoping we find a solution.

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Kacper, it's never fun troubleshooting alone, so we want to get you the support you need and get you back into VR for some fantastic adventures! Reach out to us with a new support ticket at https://ocul.us/ContactSupport, or you can send us a private message in the Community Forums! Please click here: https://ocul.us/OculusCommunitySupport or on our name to get to our profile page, then click "Send a Message" to privately contact us. Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Im thinking about getting a replacement cable for it, after some thinking i remembered that sometimes i run over it with my chair so it could be that its been damaged.

ive only looked briefly on oculus website but it said out of stock so mmaybe theres refurbished ones somewhere

dont really feel like buying a brand new one just because of that

XENoFrankE
Honored Guest

Having the same problem but my oculus is pretty new and the only thing that I can imagine taking damage is the controllers from the low ceilings in my last apartment so I don't think its damage that is causing this like a software problem as I'm seeing a lot of others having the same problem and no answer as to how to fix it.

Fingers crossed that there is a way to fix it the support and troubleshooting that oculus has provided has been pretty unless so far, so hopefully there is a salve that doesn't involve spending money.

Hey there, XENofrankE! Having sensor issues is no fun at all. Lat's take a closer look and see if we can get you back up and running! Following this link will take you to a page with some common fixes for getting your Rift S connected.

If that link doesn't get you hooked back up, let us know in a chat or email and we'll deep dive into everything. Your Meta Store Support team is standing by and can be found here!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

It's out of stock bc the Rift S has been left for dead by FB... I'm sorry... ...Meta.

I've had the same problem. Replaced the cable (180$ from a scalper...) no dice, bought a new head unit, nothing... at this point I thing FB purposely bricked them so we would buy Quests 😕

Joshy.Peterson
Honored Guest

Having the same issue here. Headset was working fine until it wasn't. Nothing happened, it just sat in the box since the last time I used it and when I pulled it out to play, I got the "Sensors can't track headset" error. I have tried reseating the cables, different USB ports, reinstalling all drivers, I've restarted my PC several times, I tried reinstalling Occulus, so far nothing has helped. 

Hey, Joshy.Peterson! We know how bothersome issues like this can be when getting back into gaming. We don't want our users to miss out on any play time. You should contact our awesome support team here. They have the tools to get you up and running again!