cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift is shutting off after almost exactly 1 minute and 30 seconds unless I reboot.

Sabrejet
Protege
My Rift CV1 works fine the entirety of the day, but usually the next morning, or after I switch between Home, standalone, and SteamVR platforms, I'll go to start a game, any game, even Home, and after the same short period, it will just go dark, while the game continues to play.

I have a fresh but well set install of Windows, good specs, everything plugged into 3.0.  I've only had this about 4 days, but this is repeatable, I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue?
12 REPLIES 12

cybereality
Grand Champion
In you're on Nvidia, please revert to driver version 388.71. Newer drivers may not be compatible.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Sabrejet
Protege
This seems to be some loop it gets stuck in, maybe because of the NVidia driver.
I recently was giving the same advice in a game forum because the driver after 388.71 was causing a couple of my games to quietly shut down in the middle of playing (!)  So that might be the cause..  kinda similar.

I'll try it out solidly tonight and come back with the results.

If it's not the driver, I suspect it's something to do with switching between my 3 major software - like something isn't starting or ending properly.  Or there may be something not right with OculusTrayTools.  And lastly I'm wondering if it has something to do with being idle too long.. this almost always happens when I use it in the morning or during a long interval.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Actually, it looks like 388.59 would be a better driver to try (some people are saying 388.71 is still incompatible).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Sabrejet
Protege
Okay I found the cause... it's very specific, but it sure would be cool if I could have some help with it or submit it as a bug.   Okay, if I start DCS World but don't put the headset on.. just let it load, and not be in a hurry to put on the headset, when I finally do there's nothing there.   So if I exit and restart the game, it starts doing this shutdown thing... but it does it in every program unless I reboot my computer.  I'll post about it over there, but I wanted to let it be known here.  Any ideas for a fix?

Oh, and to note... it still tracks and displays in the monitor mirror, just nothing in the headset.

Sabrejet
Protege
I've tried replugging.  Using reset and stop and start in OculusTrayTools, Ending all of steam, exiting steam properly, etc.

Sabrejet
Protege

Well good news, I halfway fixed it.  This is what I think is called the amber light issue.  I went into device manager, chose universal serial bus controllers, right click, choose properties, then power management and disabled power saving, it stopped with the cutting off.    I had done this in my registry but it didn't seem to have took.  Now I just have to fix my sensors so I don't have to replug them every morning.   But all's working pretty well now.

Sabrejet
Protege
Okay just for completeness... I am pretty sure I've found the culprit.  It looks like it's OculusTrayTools (0.82.1) which is a big shame because I was using it to tweak some of my games.   But it turns out this is a known bug of OculusTrayTools, and hopefully it will be fixed.

I did go down to 388.59, but went back up to 390.77 for testing.  I haven't had any issues so far.  Now that I've kinda pinpointed OTT, I'll keep an eye on the driver.

Edit:  Nope strike that, it's doing it again... maybe driver.   So random.  5 days constant shutoffs, then a 5 day break, then doing it again.

cybereality
Grand Champion
We're still investigating the issue ourselves. If you can upload your LogGatherer zip file that would help. See here for how to get the file. Thanks.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

Sabrejet
Protege
Okay the setup log is in there too.  I just did a reinstall this morning, and I've only had one black screen... so I'll give this to you now... and another after I have a couple black screens.