cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runtime update failure

Anonymous
Not applicable
The update says I have windows updates missing. I don't. I reinstalled them again. It still says I have them missing, so can't fix your problem and update.
Yes I've restarted.

4annl2qy11hk.jpg
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks from help elsewhere I got this fixed. I had to go to the cmd prompt and add 'bypassHotfixCheck to OculusPatchMarch2018 file. 

I really shouldn't have to mess with this as it's all Oculus's fault.

WG1
Explorer

Why do people still use win 7?  Win 10 was a free update. (If you had a legal version)

Win 10 is THE major security update. Win 7 users help to sustain malicious bot nets.

Why can't you do the simple win 7 hotfixs? Do you have a registered win 7 ?

No you can't do update on un licensed win 7. And guess what, the update to win 7 is? Win 10

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Microsoft wants everyone to stop using Windows 7 by this year, and will officially stop supporting it very soon.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/01/17/microsoft-windows-7-security-hardware-support-pr...

micheal_davis_1
Honored Guest
I'm getting an error also when running the patch. just a general "please restart your computer" error. any ideas. ive tried restarting and running a few times. no anivirus running, win10. thanks in advance. n56ncqoemtag.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
There's your problem right there...Win 10 🙂 
Just kidding but to the above posts on win 7, I have everything legal but I know some of my software, Music making software and old art programs don't like win 10. 

kickassretard
Protege

I'm getting an error also when running the patch. just a general "please restart your computer" error. any ideas. ive tried restarting and running a few times. no anivirus running, win10. thanks in advance. n56ncqoemtag.png

I get the same 😞

kickassretard
Protege
This is from OculusSetup.log:

[Debug] [08-Mar-2018 15:54:01] Removing critical packages only
[Error] [08-Mar-2018 15:54:01] Error setting up Oculus directories: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'SHDocVw.InternetExplorer'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{D30C1661-CDAF-11D0-8A3E-00C04FC9E26E}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).
   at Daybreak.Win32.Shlobj.CloseExplorerWindows(String pattern)
   at Dawn.Setup.CreateOculusDirectoriesStep.UninstallCriticalPackages()
   at Dawn.Setup.CreateOculusDirectoriesStep._uninstallImpl(Nullable`1 transaction)
   at Dawn.Setup.CreateOculusDirectoriesStep.CreateDirectories(Nullable`1 transaction, Boolean movedSoftware)
   at Dawn.Setup.CreateOculusDirectoriesStep.InstallImpl()
[Debug] [08-Mar-2018 15:54:01] Install 'Dawn.Setup.CreateOculusDirectoriesStep' failed.
[Warning] [08-Mar-2018 15:54:01] Rolling back installation.

Looks like it isn't failing at the actual install but at something it's trying to uninstall beforehand. Any ideas?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kickassretard said:
Looks like it isn't failing at the actual install but at something it's trying to uninstall beforehand. Any ideas?

This seems to be the root problem:

This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with 
IID '{D30C1661-CDAF-11D0-8A3E-00C04FC9E26E}' failed due to the following error: No such interface
supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).

It's failing at the Directory Creation step. Probably not a permissions issue, but a DLL somewhere is being naughty.

Someone else had a similar issue:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/440122

Could require a Windows update or full re-install.

kickassretard
Protege

UPDATE: Major.Snacko confirmed that it was dopus.exe, so you don't need to follow all the steps below, just kill dopus.exe.

Ok, looks like I fixed it by wild guessing. I don't know which step made the difference so here are all steps I did:

• delete the file "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Oculus\OculusSetup.log"
  • Kill "dopus.exe" in task manager. This is the program "Directory Opus", which I use instead of "Windows Explorer" to navigate my file system
  • Kill any running instances of iexplore.exe in task manager
  • open a command window by typing "cmd" after pressing the Windows key
  • in the command prompt window, navigate to where you saved the patch and run it by typing "OculusPatchMarch2018.exe"

Note: I've been using dopus for over 10 years and it has never caused an installer to fail. Maybe the devs could have concentrated more on making a working fix, rather than one with fancy animations?