cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOLVED: Computer crashes when playing with Rift S, but is nowhere near overclocking anything

MagnusBlue
Honored Guest
UPDATE: Apologies for the long wait! I encountered a major issue along the way, but the problem was my PSU, so I replaced it, and now I'm having no issues whatsoever gaming!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been having insane crashing problems lately while playing with my Rift S, especially during Beat Saber gameplay. After playing just one song, my PC, which is custom built (specs at bottom) restarts entirely without warning, oftentimes in the middle of the second song. I installed Intel XTU to calculate my CPU usage, and recorded it during one round of Beat Saber just to make sure nothing was overclocking or going overboard in general. My CPU usage never went above 49% and its temperature never went above 56 Celsius. I have not tinkered with any settings in XTU, it's all the base ones which my PC installed when I built it.

My PC specs are:
Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi motherboard
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
G-Skills Trident Z 16gb ram (2 stick 8x)
Intel 9700K processor
Windows 10 (latest version, auto update turned on)

What's going on, and why does my PC keep rebooting when and only when I'm playing with my Rift S?
5 REPLIES 5

lensmandave
Superstar
Might be worth checking out your power supply.
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hey @MagnusBlue depending on what's happening with the crashing, troubleshooting will vary. Especially if it's blue screening, try removing other USB devices leaving only the Rift S, mouse and keyboard. Additionally, doing a clean install of the latest graphics drivers may help too. If it persists, reaching out to Microsoft support for blue screen issues, or Oculus support here, we can look to assist. - Principe
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MagnusBlue
Honored Guest

Might be worth checking out your power supply.

Thank you for that suggestion, I think you're saving my PC, no joke! I checked the PSU out today on my day off, but no wiring is faulty. However, after running tons of diagnostics, researching the issues, and doing research on the reviews for the PSU I have, yeah, it does seem like it's the problem here. Apparently plenty of other people have encountered this same issue with my PSU, and some said it almost ruined their hardware (which I can't risk since it's so damn expensive). I ordered a new one, a different kind which is very well-reviewed and efficient, and which people said lasts a long time. I think this should do the trick! Here's to hoping when I replace it in 3 more days. Thanks again!

lensmandave
Superstar
Sounds like a plan! Fingers crossed for you here, let us know how you get on 🙂
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

MagnusBlue
Honored Guest
Apologies for the long wait! I encountered a major issue along the way, but the problem was my PSU, so I replaced it, and now I'm having no issues whatsoever gaming!

I was dumb, though, and when replacing the PSU, I plugged in a type 4 cable to my graphics card which caused it to catch fire. So! Cue the 7 week process of sending it out to Cali in the midst of their wildfire crisis for repair and replacement (thank the Gods this could be done at all, and thank you, workers, for sending me a replacement despite everything). Now, my computer runs better than ever! No more crashes when I'm playing VR, or any games, for that matter.

Lessons learned: spend money for a good PSU when building your computer, and type 4 cables are evil.