cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Initial Software Setup Error (Sorry, Please Restart Your Computer and Try Again)

Gubru
Explorer
After waiting days with bated breath, I finally received my Oculus! 

Unfortunately, before I can even plug anything in, I am having issues first and foremost with even installing the software! (At this point, I've even tried multiple browsers, too!)

When I'm booting up the initial setup, it'll download the required files (all 9.4GB of them) seemingly alright, before it prompts me to install. I go through the usual cavalcade of directories (which I just leave on their default options), and let it go from there.

A few minutes after staring at the animated loading bar, I am greeted with "Sorry, we have encountered an error during installing. Please restart and try again." And I can proceed no further.
31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bump because I am in the same boat, and I am tired of this heap of expensive garbage.

ShacharTal
Honored Guest
Me too. Bummer!!!

Gubru
Explorer
Does anyone from Rift Support look at these forums? Disappointed that there hasn't been any movement for us. 

I have a support ticket in too which had yet to garner any response .

The only other option I can think of is a format; but that really shouldn't be necessary. I've also heard of other customers trying the same without much success; so that doesn't really fill me with confidence. 

Star-lizard
Rising Star
https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/

I had a similar issue support had me start up in safe mode and delete all oculus files, also reloaded video drivers first. Hit them up they were really helpful. I used live chat for initial contact, good luck

Gubru
Explorer

https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/

I had a similar issue support had me start up in safe mode and delete all oculus files, also reloaded video drivers first. Hit them up they were really helpful. I used live chat for initial contact, good luck

Thank you very much for the information! I actually just now had a reply to my own support ticket; I've given them my setuplog and my dxdiag thus far. I shall check out that link, cheers!

Star-lizard
Rising Star
Yeah it will take a out 1 day for them to analyze the files. They confirmed my issue was due to a driver problem. Due to complications I uninstalled my video driver and did a clean driver install then had to manually delete all oculus files while in safe mode. Took a couple of back and forth emails to get at end result. Just be patient as emails and employee shifts all take time

LZoltowski
Champion
Here are the instructions for a complete reinstall
  1. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
  2. Reboot into Safe Mode.
  3. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.
  4. Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
    • C:\Program Files
  5. Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
  6. Restart your computer in normal mode.
  7. Reconnect your computer to the internet.
  8. Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website here, make sure to run the setup from your C:\ Drive and make sure you have any antivirus disabled.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Gubru
Explorer

8. Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website here, make sure to run the setup from your C:\ Drive and make sure you have any antivirus disabled.

I will try this. Thank you. 

Gubru
Explorer

Gubru said:

I will try this. Thank you. 

Did not work.