cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self-recorded 360 deg video playback horribly choppy inside Rift

sumdevil
Protege
My daughter has wanted a 360 degree camera from the first time she put on the Rift because she wanted to capture the whole memory of something and then relive it.  She saved money for over a year and finally got one (the Madv Madventure).  It works great for what she wants, in that it does take good 360 video, and she can play it on any PC we have and look around with the mouse and see everything, and it plays great.

However, when she gets in the Oculus and tries to play the video with "Oculus video", it is incredibly stuttery, choppy, and just generally unviewable.

Watching any other videos in Oculus Video work fine.
Watching her videos while not in the Oculus (using just a mouse to look around) work fine.

Are there any suggestions for things I can try so that her recorded videos play smoothly and normally while in the Rift?

thanks
18 REPLIES 18

LZoltowski
Champion
1070 looks plenty, the video playback is hardware accelerated through the GPU, I think its just the video is not encoded right, double check everything, is she post-processing it in any way?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

sumdevil
Protege
Other than running it through the stitching software, no.  I asked her if there were any adjustable settings when doing that, and she said that there were, but I haven't had a chance to go see what they are yet.  It does sound like the format (she mentioned mpeg4) could be selected there.

LZoltowski
Champion
Yes mp4 format is hardware accelerated, meaning its playback is done by the GPU, that is why its recommended. 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

sumdevil
Protege
So I found a video on how to use the stitching software, and there is a checkbox for MPEG4 encoding.  So I had my daughter take a new video and stitch it with that selected.  She did so and went to watch it in the Oculus and it is still very stuttery and plays slower than normal.

When I can get there, I'll check the movie file properties for any interesting info it might have in there, and I'll also try to check the CPU usage while viewing.  If the CPU is maxed, it probably indicates that the GPU is somehow not working right (and thus, somehow, the MP4 encoding is not correct).

sumdevil
Protege
Ok, so I finally had a chance to check it out.

I right clicked on the 360 video and saw this info in the details:

Frame width:  3840
Frame height: 1920
Data rate: 52956kbps
Total bitrate: 53084 kbps
Frame rate:  29.99

I then pulled up the Task Manager and watched two videos...one she had taken, and the Oculus Videos thing on the Parker Solar Probe launch (which was completely awesome).

When the Oculus video was playing, I noted that the CPU speed hung out at around 80 to 90 percent, and that the GPU had risen from about 13 to 21 and stayed there.  When her video was playing, the CPU pegged at 100% and never moved, and the GPU either stayed where it was or rose up to maybe 17%.

So I'd say the stuttering is definitely because the CPU is being maxed out, possibly because GPU acceleration isn't happening.

Any suggestions on how to fix that?

LZoltowski
Champion
Is there any way you could upload the video to somewhere like google drive? and DM me the link so I can have a quick peek? 

Be kind to one another 🙂

sumdevil
Protege
I'll work on that tonight.  Thanks for the offer, that would certainly narrow down the file vs. the computer.

kickassretard
Protege
It does sound like the gpu decoding isn't kicking in. I don't know how Oculus video chooses it's decoder but can you try installing lav filters and go to settings and make sure the video decoder is set to one of the hardware modes? It could be that oculus video will then use lav with gpu decode.

sumdevil
Protege
Just as a conclusion, @LZoltowski helped me a lot.  The solution was to use the SkyVR player instead.  Using that, I saw that the GPU performance went up to about 30% while viewing the video and it was completely smooth.  Using the Oculus Video player, the GPU sat at around 17% and was pretty much unviewable.

Much thanks for all the help from everyone.  My daughter is once again happy she bought the 360 deg camera.