cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound Cutting Out

WebKill
Honored Guest

The sound from the rift headphones is not working well, it will work for a little while then turn off. I ran Pandora on my computer, and hear the music in the rift headset, I left my headset off and on the desk next to me, and it never stopped. I put my headset on and sat there for a couple minutes and it continued to play the music. Then I picked up my left and right touch controllers and started moving around the home area, and within about 5 seconds the sound stopped again.

When the audio stops, I can go to my playback devices in sound settings on my computer, and the sound level appears stuck at the point in which the sound stopped. If I do anything to the rift headphone settings and press apply, audio begins working again, but then will stop working after I spend a little time with the headset on.

I have rift audio setting set to rift headset, and my computer audio settings has the rift headset device as default playback device.

System Specs:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit with latest updates installed

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard with bios P2.90 with on board Realtek high definition audio driver R2.82 from the realtek site

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 driver version 23.21.13.9077

10 REPLIES 10

FastForward352
Heroic Explorer
It happened to me sometimes, and in fact my left phone was just unscrewed. Check it, maybe it's that simple 😉
Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

cybereality
Grand Champion
You should have your Windows sound options default playback device to be your headphones/speakers and not Rift.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

WebKill
Honored Guest
I seem to have solved it. I moved my sensors to my 2 USB3 slots, and my headset to one of the USB2 slot and I havn't had any trouble since.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Great news! Thanks for following up.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

WebKill
Honored Guest
You mentioned having my playback sound set default to my normal playback device (speakers) and not the rift headset, will it auto switch when I put the headset on? It doesn't seem like that was the case, but then again it hasn't been working till now.

Sabrejet
Protege

WebKill said:

You mentioned having my playback sound set default to my normal playback device (speakers) and not the rift headset, will it auto switch when I put the headset on? It doesn't seem like that was the case, but then again it hasn't been working till now.

I  heard that it's supposed to autoswitch between speakers and Rift, that hasn't been the case at all for me.  Yesterday It was switching... to -both- and then just to speakers... or it will switch to Rift and not switch back.  Not sure if this is the way it's supposed to work, but from what I'm reading, no.

srod79
Honored Guest
I'm not sure if anyone is aware of home theater Technology ARC (Audio Return Channel).

Basically, its Sound Data and Visual Data running Thru the same HDMI at once.

One BIG issue that everyone hates about ARC is that the Visual and Audio Data will Collide in the cable and the sound will shut off all together and the only way to get it working again is to restart the source.

sound familiar?

The only way I can think of a possible fix for it is if the source could stagger the audio and visual frequencies so that the information thru the cable doesn't collide.

either that or Oculus Rift HDMI cable with 2 separate channels/outputs.

If Oculus just used 1/8 jack or a Optical cable the issue probably would never exist...

best fix for me so far is unscrewing those earphones off the headset and using your regular gaming headphones over the the Rift Headset... anyway, hope this sheds a bit of light in perspective to whats going on...

Enigmaxxx5
Honored Guest
I had the same problem until today ! The sounds kept cutting in Dead and buried, very annoying and was not able to talk to anyone when it does happen until i restart the oculus software. So, well... I have done so many things that i am not sure which one really worked. But the last thing I tried was just plugging the headset in a 2.0 USB and the sensors in USB 3.0  and it finally fixed the problem (so far). Hope this will help.

For everything Else i tried Here are what i have done. 

1) Repair oclus software with the patch of march
2) Set by default my tv (screen) as regular sound output (rift will switch by itself so don't worry)
3) Same for the microphone. Set your default microphone as default. If not any, Rift will be default
4) I have removed any enhancment for the sound in the rift headset
5) I have put the sound quality to CD instead of the other choice you have
6) I have reinstall Dead and buried ( the game i kept having the problem, but the problem was in every game)
7) I have unplugged the cable of the headset and replugged it in case it was unproperly plugged in
😎 I have unscrewed the earphone from the head set and put them back quite tight on the headset
9) I have done every single update on my computer + Nvidia Card.
10) Then I gave up and finally plugged the rift headset in a 2.0 usb and the sensors in 3.0.
Now sounds work very well!
-- My system : HP Omen, 12 gb ram, NVidia 1060 3GB, I7-7700 3.60 ghz
Hope this will help!

edostmann
Protege
"One BIG issue that everyone hates about ARC is that the Visual and Audio Data will Collide in the cable and the sound will shut off all together and the only way to get it working again is to restart the source."

Yeah [interesting] – it looked like that today. Every time the audio switched off today, the youtube video which I had running inside Oculus home stopped at the same time. The stopping occurs now every 30 to 60 seconds, which is really frustrating. Only strange, that those things rarely happened some months ago.

"Then I gave up and finally plugged the rift headset in a 2.0 usb and the sensors in 3.0.
Now sounds work very well!" – Congrats. While this workaround seems to be unrelated to "visual and audio data colliding in the cable, I am desperate enough to give it a try. [Edit:] The headset already was connected via USB 2.0.