cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SteamVR Very Laggy

Brittle_
Honored Guest
I've seen many of this question, but they are all from older years and none of the answers seem to have helped. My Oculus Rift works perfectly on games using the Oculus app, but if I try to use any 3rd party VR programs (including SteamVR) the display lags like hell and I can't do anything. If anyone is able to let me know how to solve this, it would be appreciated.
26 REPLIES 26

falken76
Expert Consultant
What system specs are people using?  Steam performs perfectly fine on my machine.  I have an I7 7700k w/ 16 gb ram and a GTX 1070 card.  Steam ran fine on my old machine as well, it was an I7 2600k w/ 16 gigs ram and a GTX 1060 6gb card.  Steam plays fine on my brothers laptop that only has a 1060, it plays fine on my friends computer that has an I7 6700k w/ 16 gb ram and a 1060 6gb.  Am I and 100% of the people I personally know that own rift in the minority?  It's an obvious issue, I've read about steam being a problem since I got an Oculus Rift way back in august of 2016, but I've never experienced it myself.

RattyUK
Trustee

falken76 said:

What system specs are people using?  Steam performs perfectly fine on my machine.  I have an I7 7700k w/ 16 gb ram and a GTX 1070 card.  Steam ran fine on my old machine as well, it was an I7 2600k w/ 16 gigs ram and a GTX 1060 6gb card.  Steam plays fine on my brothers laptop that only has a 1060, it plays fine on my friends computer that has an I7 6700k w/ 16 gb ram and a 1060 6gb.  Am I and 100% of the people I personally know that own rift in the minority?  It's an obvious issue, I've read about steam being a problem since I got an Oculus Rift way back in august of 2016, but I've never experienced it myself.

And that is the PC scene in a nutshell, what appears to be fine on many PC's can be drivel on the same spec machine!  I have no idea why except that possibly those of us who 'have the knowledge' will tweak for performance whereas others leave things as they are?
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

SpooderPug
Honored Guest
I have done a steamvr performance test and I am capable of running vr at max settings just fine, but no matter what settings I use I cannot get the lag to stop. I have been looking for days for an answer and it either doesn't work or works for a little while and then the lag comes back, it's like someone wants me to lag. (I'm using a Rift S)

TopHatPotat125
Honored Guest
It seems that this (The lagging, stuttering, jittering, etc.) has been a problem for many people that use a Rift or Rift S, even though the Rift or Rift S users PC's are capable of running this software. This seems to be a problem with the Oculus or SteamVR software itself (or something to do with it) so its not really the user's fault as it seems. No matter how much the settings are tweaked no one has been really able to fix it (as far as I know). I still have yet to find a fix but if there's any way to contact the devs I think that would be a good next step going forward. I'm not 100% sure of this but am mostly sure this is the case so if there's any way to do this someone should try. (Btw I have a Rift S, and ran the Steam VR compatibility test. It said my PC was VR ready about halfway through the green bar. I am also experiencing the lag / slowness that others are experiencing too).

Lalle75
Protege
Same here. Only Steam games are affected. Playing the games directly with the Oculus app, everything is ok. But starting an app on Steam VR, the lags begin after some minutes. It feels like there is a memory buffer filling up and cannot get rid of the old stuff. I own my Oculus Rift for 3 years now, but Steam never fixed this.

xeno3d
Adventurer
Try changing the global super sampling option in Steam VR to manual and slide it to 100%.

Lalle75
Protege
I think, I found something: The app "prio" (https://www.prnwatch.com/prio/) is capable of changing the priority of apps constantly. A guide on Steam reads:
  1. Install "prio"
  2. Reboot
  3. Open task manager
  4. Click on details (bottom left)
  5. Hit the details tab (top right)
  6. Right click on: OVRServer_x64.exe, vrserver.exe, vrcompositor.exe and the exe of the game
  7. Set all these processes to priority high (don't forget to check "Save priority").
After doing this, the game runs perfectly smooth. 🙂

Lalle75
Protege
I think, I found something: The app "prio" (https://www.prnwatch.com/prio/) is capable of changing the priority of apps constantly. A guide on Steam reads:
  1. Install "prio"
  2. Reboot
  3. Open task manager
  6. Right click on: OVRServer_x64.exe, vrserver.exe, vrcompositor.exe and the exe of the game
  7. Set all these processes to priority high (don't forget to check "Save priority").

intub8
Honored Guest

Lalle75 said:

I think, I found something: The app "prio" is capable of changing the priority of apps constantly. A guide on Steam reads:
  1. Install "prio"
  2. Reboot
  3. Open task manager

I am not seeing vrcompositor and I get access is denied when trying to set priority for squardons. I also do not see the option for save priority.

FizzyGoldTing
Honored Guest
doesnt work for me