cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SteamVR Very Laggy

Brittle_
Honored Guest
I've seen many of this question, but they are all from older years and none of the answers seem to have helped. My Oculus Rift works perfectly on games using the Oculus app, but if I try to use any 3rd party VR programs (including SteamVR) the display lags like hell and I can't do anything. If anyone is able to let me know how to solve this, it would be appreciated.
26 REPLIES 26

ImmediateBang
Honored Guest
Hi there, I just want to say that I also have been experiencing this exact problem. I cannot offer any advice but I just want you to know that you're not the only one! (Im using the rift s)

Yobiwan29
Adventurer
Same here, I can't play any of my SteamVR games with the Rift S because of the poor performance. Some hicups here and there, and a feeling that it cannot reach the 80Hz needed to perfect smoothness. I did a clean w10 install, put the minimum, Steam and Oculus software but it didn't help. It seems to be a rare phenomenon. Very few users have this problem. Or maybe they are less demanding... I don't know.
A workaround is to try Open Composite. As it works fine with some games, it is very buggy with others. You can give a try but it is not a solution in my particular case.
Oculus Quest 2 & 3 - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i9 9900K - 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - RTX 3080

thumbass
Explorer
I had the Oculus Rift and never had a problem playing SteamVR games...I recently upgraded to Oculus Rift S and now SteamVR is pretty much unplayable. I would have never upgraded and stayed on the Oculus platform if I was only going to be able to play games in the Oculus ecosystem.

RattyUK
Trustee
I'll be the odd one out and note that Steam performance is equal to that of the native Oculus games for me, but for the ones having issues - have you checked the video settings in SteamVR?  It tends to default to stupid 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Yobiwan29
Adventurer

RattyUK said:

I'll be the odd one out and note that Steam performance is equal to that of the native Oculus games for me, but for the ones having issues - have you checked the video settings in SteamVR?  It tends to default to stupid 🙂

No matter the amount of ss I apply in steamvr settings, still laggy.
Oculus Quest 2 & 3 - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i9 9900K - 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - RTX 3080

AndyBruce
Honored Guest
My Steam VR games are unplayable. Sometimes they start out OK but quite quickly the frame rate drops and I need to shut them down. Steam has always been a bit tricky to get working but it seems to be much worse recently. No problem with Oculus Store content.  I feel a bit cheated as I've spent a lot of money on Steam VR games.  Is someone perhaps making life difficult on Steam to encourage exclusive Oculus Store use,  or am I paranoid?

Jimmyely
Honored Guest
You cant fix this

RattyUK
Trustee
Are you folk having performance issues runing the release version of steamVR - I've stuck on the beta release since I got the Original Rift, not saying that some of the beta releases were great, but in general they have been 'kind' to me.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Yobiwan29
Adventurer
I don't have major issue with SteamVR. By the way I never managed to get most of the SteamVR games as performant as Oculus ones with the Rift S. They are slightly less smooth. Even with a clean W10 installation. I think most of users won't see the difference but this subtle difference in framerate make me buy preferably on the Oculus store. I have noticed that when asw is active, there is no difference between oculus and steam.