cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stereo overlap off in videos?

Godrichman
Explorer
Hi guys so I am happy with the rift. Great piece of technology and its definitely the future. So my question is have any other people noticed any stereo overlap issues? Wondering if I have a problem with my rift or if this is just something common...... I have tried games and i don't notice it in them.
I have been watching some of the videos in jaunt and within apps and I seem to have double vision when watching some videos. Especially the Cuban dance video. When the dancers are in a circle its like i have double vision. Closing one eye resolves it but the double vision makes me feel a bit off. I have tried adjusting the IPD but it doesn't make a difference.
4 REPLIES 4

Goobers
Adventurer
I think the issue is that your IPD isn't the same as the spacing between the cameras that recorded the video. With objects further apart, you don't notice it in some videos, but when they're closer together, the IPD vs spacing difference becomes more apparent when trying to focus on multiple depths at the same time.

I wonder, if you unstrap and pull the Rift a bit further from your face, would it help slightly? Obviously, only in the center, everything else around the sides would go to shit by doing that.

Godrichman
Explorer
Cheers for the reply! is that normal for people to experience it when objects are close? I never thought about the cameras but it doesn kind of make sense. I was getting worries because my lensesmight be off kilter but with games playing fine surely it's alright.

i'm in work at the moment but I'll when I get home I'll try that.

Goobers
Adventurer
Honestly, I don't know, just throwing out some guesses.

But it definitely brings up this issue I encounter. Basically, I don't have a rift yet (waiting for shipping notice), but sometimes I try to watch those VR videos, the ones with left and right view.

What I can do is put my hands up to my face like I'm praying, then angle them apart enough that my right hand blocks the left video from my right eye, and the left hand blocks the right video from my left eye. After a bit, my eyes can "focus" on there video as if I'm looking into the environment.

However, if the video is too big on my screen, my eyes can't angle outward enough to "focus,"  and I basically see double of everything.

Godrichman
Explorer
Yeah its weird: I can see the majority of the videos fine but for some videos certain parts, like hands moving fast, appear as double. Especially moving objects close to the camera. I'm hoping this isn't what is in store for me watching 360 degree videos in future! i wonder if others have experienced this?

The videos are not to scale though at all. Think its a limit of the tech at the moment but it is a great insight into what the future holds! You'll have a great time when you gete your rift.