cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stumbled upon almighty god rays

flibberflops
Expert Protege
When I purchased my CV1, I also splashed out on a mega PC / Nvidia 1080 Upgrade. For over a year I have had no issues with this PC / Rift combo.

Over the weekend I dug out my old PC / Nvidia 980 which had been gathering dust. I wiped the hard drive, re-installed W10, latest Nvidia drivers and stuck on the Rift software. It all works fine but when I jumped into VR I was surprised to find that the rift has a terrible bright washed out image with the worst god rays you can imagine!!!!

Obviously plugging the rift back into the 1080 the display looks fine again.

So I have two PC's, both running the same Nvidia driver, both using the same headset... however one has a much worse VR display experience than the other. The rift on the 980 looks like the brightness is turned up way too high. This would explain why some uses have a really poor experience and natrually blame the rift?

To be honest I am not sure how to fix my 980. I tried using a 3 month old Nvidia driver (clean install) but this makes no difference. The OS is a basic Win 10 image with just the relevent mobo drivers. I have no other software install except the Oculus software. The nvidia panel doesn't give any options to adjust the settings on the rift either.

Any ideas what I can change on this basic PC build that will darken the Oculus output?
12 REPLIES 12

Roaster
Rising Star
This is indeed curious.  I have a GTX980Ti and have severe glare in bright displays on a black background, but really never see it in a vr game.  It sounds like the gpu driver has different settings for different cards.  Upgrade incentive?
Not sure I'd want to turn down the brightness anyway ... except sometimes.
I always assumed that basic controls for a display were a given. Never mind focus.
I'll fore go the rant this time because it really is like barking at the moon.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

thurrafork
Honored Guest

Very curious about this.

I have a 980ti and I have dreadful godrays and I would say yeah everything is too bright.

I have tried two different headsets with my rig and the issues were the same with bothso I thought it was just the nature of the headsets. But now it's possible that there are inexplicable issues when run from 980 cards?

Any more thoughts on this?

thurrafork
Honored Guest
Anyone else noticed comparative increase in brightness/godrays on 980 cards?

Neme2017
Explorer
I do not know if people do not see well, or I have a problem in the view, or my cv1 does strange things, but I understand what you say, that to me also happens to me with a gtx970 even in the oculushome, I see rays of God In any letter, with the lenses totally clean, but hey, in my cv1 is the least of his problems, I can not believe my old samsung gear vr is seen 10000 times better the cv1, it excels in everything, color, contrast, Brightness, gamma, the difference is abysmal, in my case in particular, it's like comparing an old tv crt vs. OLED v4k, and I think it's all due to software mura to correct black bleeding, but it's a lot worse the remedy than the disease , I prefer the bleeding to all the problems that is causing me its solution.

HiCZoK
Protege
Glare is obvious. Brighter colors shine on darker colors. It's all fault of the optics which are causing this. But it's not something that is a problem to me at all. I've heard so much about those god rays and now that I have the rift it's the least of a problem. I do not care for it and it's not visible most of time

thurrafork
Honored Guest

Yes, it's very hard to make objective comparisons because the geometry of everyone's faces is different, leading to different optical quirks. And everyone's eyes are different too. The same headset and GPU set up might look great to one person and terrible to another. And, despite support requesting it when they were discussing my issues, photographic evidence doesn't really work. Jamming a phone/camera into the headset doesn't not give an accurate representation of the focus/brightness/godray issues ones eyes might be perceiving.

But it is of course possible that the variety of optical issues we're hearing about might be down to actual variance between headsets. And because very few of us have a broad frame of reference of having compared dozens of headsets, when we raise the issue and hear others subjectively state that there is no problem, some will probably just accept that that's how it is - as they have no experience to inform them that the display could indeed be better. And those that don't accept it will have difficulty presenting objective evidence of their problem.

I've tried 2 headsets so far. And the focus issue and godrays was the same in both.

I'm popping round a friends later today to try his Rift in Elite Dangerous - he claims he's getting crystal clear visuals. If when I try it I see the same level of blurriness/godray as my headset, this will tell me that the issue is entirely down to my subjective perception.

I'll also try my headset on his set up though. I'm still very curious about the possible variance in brightness/contrast/godrays using the same headset on different GPUs. That's something I had not considered a factor.

But I'm sure I've read of people moving between 980s and 1080s and the comparative differences they do mention are nothing to do with brightness/godrays etc.

Hmmm...

kunoxs
Honored Guest
Check your color gamut setting. By default the 980 driver is set to limited. I found the god rays much less noticeable while set to limited.  Once I set color to full I began to notice the rays.

thurrafork
Honored Guest

Hmm. Mine is set to full.

Are you truly saying that you found the godray problem reduced by setting your dynamic range to limited?

RobinWood
Honored Guest
I have 980Ti and I have the same problem, no matter what I do, no matter if I use a DVI adaptor, the CV1 is set to limited 😞

Did you find an effective way to change it in the headset?
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?