cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuttering - Anything else I can try to solve the issue?

WR_VR
Explorer

Running Quest 2 with the link cable and getting a lot of stuttering after about 30 seconds

Tried a few recommended settings in ODT & Graphics Prefs but it seems to make it worst so ive set back to default

USB Port Power settings have been disabled to allow maximum power
USB Test shows a decent connection of 1.2Gbps

My PC Spec is:
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 Graphics (Latest Drivers)
16.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 Latest Drivers

I did a test with a unity scene to illustrate the problem. When I navigate around the home when connecting via the Oculus link Although the quality is a lot lower in the home compared to the unity scene the problem still arises it just takes a bit longer for the stuttering to start

I'm at a loss as to exactly what the problem is what else I can try to solve this problem

Any Ideas?

Thanks

https://youtu.be/L7hrEXsKj_k 

Graphics Prefs.pngODT.pngUSB Test.png

9 REPLIES 9

TheLegend27
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

With the WX 7100 being a workstation centered card, I'm curious if your entire setup is a pre-built (or built) workstation setup? You weren't too specific on which Windows 10 edition you had (Home, Pro, Enterprise, Education, etc.), so it's worth mentioning that our software was optimized for the Home edition of Windows 10.

Your card shouldn't have any issues after checking the benchmarks for it, but it's also possible that our software isn't optimized to support the Radeon™ PRO WX x100 Series. For Link stutters, a community user made a video on YouTube for some simple fixes on Link/Air Link stutters that may work for you. Not an official video from us, but it could still be worth trying.

To test for it being an optimization issue native to our software, you can try running something like Virtual Desktop on SteamVR to see if that still gives you stutters. Has this setup worked for you fine before? Also, does this happen on Air Link, or just with the Link cable?

Technology, at a certain level of sophistication, is indistinguishable from magic. - some wise guy or something probably

WR_VR
Explorer

Thank for the reply.

I built the PC myself a couple of years ago. Spec'd up for 3D as I'm an artist. I'm running Windows 10 home Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043.

I'll check out Virtual Desktop and also look at Air link as I've only worked with the link cable up to now.
I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for you help much appreciated!

WR_VR
Explorer

OK, so ran through the 3 tests from the video link you posted. and it looks like the graphics card might be the issue. The question is is it just a driver update requirement or do I need to get another graphics card?
Ran a check and installed the latest driver but it was exactly the same as what I already had installed.
I went on to try the other 2 fixed with no joy.

Going to try setting up the air link now

WR_VR_0-1652383005637.png

TheLegend27
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

I'll say that I'm not too sure about the Vertex and Pixel shader capabilities of the card specifically, or how much of an impact a .1 difference will make, but as for the driver dates, I think I understand what's going on. On AMD's website, if I filter for drivers specific to your card, then open the dropdown for Windows 10, you can see that there are 2 different drivers. An Enterprise version, and the Adrenaline version.

TheLegend27_0-1652387299483.png

Your card is most likely on Enterprise drivers, which makes sense, since it's a workstation card. The Enterprise drivers are more stable, but have less features due to a slower rollout period for updates. There's a 6 month difference in the driver dates, and if you mainly use the PC for processing/rendering/creating your 3D projects, you'll probably want to stay on Enterprise drivers.

Alright, that explanation out of the way. You obviously want to do some stuff in Unity for VR development, I assume? Perhaps, you just want to play PCVR in general without having a bunch of stutters over link. In that case, it might be worth testing the Adrenalin game ready drivers for your card to see if it makes a decent enough impact on the stuttering and general performance when doing PCVR.

If that doesn't work, it might be worthwhile for you to upgrade your card to something that can handle gaming and development in tandem, so that you get the best of both worlds. GPUs are at a ridiculous price right now, but if you can get your hands on one, an RTX 3080 is a great choice.

Virtual Desktop might work, but it does cost money, and I don't want to recommend something that might work or might not. So, just use your best judgement (it's very similar to Air Link). Worst case, you can always request a refund for it, if it's under 2 hours of playtime within 14 days.

Let me know how Air Link works!

Technology, at a certain level of sophistication, is indistinguishable from magic. - some wise guy or something probably

WR_VR
Explorer

Unfortunately I get exactly the same problem with Air link and same with Virtual desktop 
Ran the Steam VR Performance test and although its capable the GPU doesn't meet the minimum requirements

WR_VR_1-1652385973809.png

TheLegend27
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Yeah, I think that pretty much confirms it. The SteamVR performance test is "heavily outdated", and "doesn't give a very accurate depiction for modern VR games", or so the community says. If it's outdated, and you're still failing to meet the minimum requirements for the GPU, then there must be something pretty underlying that we're both missing about your card that makes it underperform. On paper, it has performance relative to the RX 480, which is supported for Link, so it still doesn't make much sense.

At this point, changing your drivers probably won't help very much, and I still recommend upgrading your GPU when you can. You can try the Adrenaline drivers, but I can't guarantee that it will fix the issue.

If you wanted a refund for that Virtual Desktop software, you can follow the steps on our page. Just scroll to the Game or App refund section.

WR_VR
Explorer

Tried the Adrenaline drivers,  no change .. still the same problem. Just had a look at RTX 3080 sounds like the stock is low which i guessing thats one of the reasons the price is high. Any alternative suggestions? I need to be able to run Maya , Max, Substance, zbrush etc.... as well as Quest 2

Thanks for you help with this. At least now I have a better idea of whats causing the problem

TheLegend27
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Sorry, hadn't had the time to look at my community account over the weekend. The 3080s are definitely pretty marked up right now. Actually, most GPUs are pretty marked up right now, mostly due to a chip shortage. Supply and demand, you know? It's hard to recommend a card that works for both gaming and development because of the differences in their designwhat they're made for.

The performance of a workstation card and a desktop card may seem miniscule on paper, but there are other considerations when it comes to choosing a card type to benefit you most. A desktop card might be great for gaming and basic computing, but will it withstand intense workloads at 100% for days on end while you render that 3D project you're working on? You might run into board component failure or general data errors.

Thankfully, you've already got a good, expensive workstation card. So, you really only need a gaming card to run in tandem with your workstation card. You would just need a 2nd monitor to run to your 2nd GPU. This is admittedly getting a bit outside of my territory, so you should definitely do your due diligence for running a workstation card and gaming card in tandem.

As for gaming GPU recommendations, I guess it really depends on your price point, but I'll try to recommend something in multiple price-point ranges. You're looking to spend about 600+ if you want a good card that will last for a good while.

• $600 GIGABYTE Gaming OC PRO GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
  • $800-900 EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
  • $1000+ MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB

Ideally, you would pick these up from somewhere with a good return policy, so that you can return them, if they don't work out, you can't get it to work with your workstation card, etc.

Took a minute to write up, but I hope it helps!

I know this thread is old BUT...

After owning 1 PC (3080 RTX) And one Laptop (3080ti)

Both came with stuttering or framedrops when VR gaming.

This is what i found, it only took me 13 months of research to finally find a fix for myself.

Now i am not sure completely which step fixed it but give this a go.

First of all lower your monitor refresh rate to 60hz and drop it down to 1920x1080p

Then follow both youtube videos.

One video will show you how to setup your graphics card so that it prioritizes your RTX card rather than intergrated graphics and set it to High Performance mode for the Oculus and i assume you can also do this with SteamVR apps (Isn't in the video). Make sure you add all 4 exe files and set all to RTX GPU high performance.

The second video will show you how to fix settings in the Nvidia control panel to optimize the card for game play. (Not sure if this was my fix or the first steps but you can play around.

I gave up VR for 13 months thinking it was the RTX card and that the drivers were the problem but it isn't.

1. Lower resolution on monitor and fix hz to 60hz.

2 Set all oculus exe files in graphics settings to RTX card and High Performance (4 Files), set any exe files for Steam VR to High Performance. Or you can go into developer mode in Steam VR Settings/Developer Mode and set Oculus as runtime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDuZMPV3GHQ&t=351s

3. Optimize Nvidia Control Panel Settings for best performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KamA-38gV7w

I am happy to say that my laptop can now play all games in VR on high settings using an RTX card after 13 months and 1 PC and 1 Laptop which both dropped frames and stuttered.

Good Luck.