cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuttering until I alt tab

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I was running an i5 with Geforce 1080, now switched to a i7 7700k with the geforce 1080 but since i formatted and reinstalled the games start fine but after 5-10 mins play it starts lagging and stuttering, the only way to fix it is by alt-tab in and out of the window and the game works. What could be the issue here as I have tried changing USB around, reinstalled software, just seems to keep doing it and have to keep alt-tab game every 5-10 mins
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seems an idle issue. If I move the mouse or alt tab to another app it runs fine. Cant find out what is causing this though...

Ernimus_Prime
Heroic Explorer
Check your power management as well and see if set to high performance. 
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3600 MHZ. SSD XPG 8200 pro 1 TB. WD Black 4 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. MSI VENTUS 3 RTX 3080 OC, Primary: MSI MAG274QRF-QD 2nd monitor: Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. Corsair rm750x PSU. Rift S.

CrashFu
Consultant
Is it possible that any background apps could be stealing focus from the game window?

I've noticed that I get graphical glitches / mild stuttering in VR apps if I intentionally alt-tab out of a game window to something else, that always goes away after returning focus to the game app.   And occasionally when I launch Elite Dangerous it won't automatically have focus to start with.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
I would also check your GPU usage and see if your 1080 is downclocking. I've had issues with less detailed VR experiences not pushing my 1080 enough to the point where it thought it could run in a power-saving mode.
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

MoistBaloney
Honored Guest
Did you happen to find a solution for it ? I'm having the same exact issue . My 1080 is running real smooth until I get that stutter. In task manager I saw the gpu and cpu go up to 99% under a program called mint, I'm wondering what is it

majk411
Explorer
This happens to me too. In iracing, I get crazy stuttering about every minute. Makes it unplayable. BUT! If I just click on the Start, hit windows key or just select any other window - basically, make sure that the iRacing window is NOT focused, it runs smooth without any issues.

mike.bolts
Honored Guest
Same. Is there no resolution to this? Everything was working fine, if I remember correctly, I decided to try my friend's copy of Doom VFR, get a minute into the game and it starts stuttering. It repeated the issue when I tried the game again and gave up. Now my oculus games (like Onward and To The Top!) suffer the same issue, I have learned that even the smallest mouse click can fix it but its still so irritating. 

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you upload your LogGatherer zip file here? See this thread for how to get that file.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Mace404
Heroic Explorer
This could be processor scheduling.
My guess is your scheduling is on 'Programs' and when an application is running in the foreground the OVR service wont get enough/fast enough cpu time and it starts stuttering.

You can check your processor scheduling at:
Window key+pause > Advanced system settings > Tab Advanced > Under performance click button 'Settings' > Tab advanced.