cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Performance Issues With Robo Recall?

TravisisiLL
Honored Guest
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this, but I've randomly started to have a bunch of issues with Robo Recall that I have not had before. The game seems to suffer from sudden bursts of lag that were never present before, and if I try to change the SS settings even one notch the game crashes every time. 

When I first purchased Oculus the game ran flawlessly, and my other games seem to be fine still. The only thing I've done recently is remount my sensors and upgrade to a 1080 Ti. The sensors seem to be tracking fine in other games, though I do get the occasional "poor tracking quality". I never had this before. The sensors wouldn't cause ingame stuttering/lag though, right? I have disabled the Oculus Tray Tool/Debug tool to make sure I am not inadvertently running extra SS. Any help or advice is appreciated. 
23 REPLIES 23

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Are you on W10?
I think you will find many rift users are having similar performance hit issues over recent months that were never there before, i am one myself, i bough the rift back in the summer sales, it was the best thing since sliced bread, ran on my GTX 970 at the time with no issues, then something happenedin October or November, either from the rift software, or my personal view from MS and a W10 update, and now i have to use the oculus tool to disable aws so i don't have to put up with jitter and stuttering games, something that has only appeared in the last two months, so i have no idea what is going on.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

TravisisiLL
Honored Guest
That's exactly when it started for me! I am glad you said something, I was about to go exchange my Rift for a new one at Best Buy and I HATE doing that to them/Oculus because I know a lot of the headset can't be reused. I bought my Oculus during the summer sale as well, and I was able to get a flawlessly smooth experience with a 1070 in Robo Recall. Now I suffer from constant lag/frame drops even though I'm now using a 1080 Ti on the same graphics settings (no SS enabled). It makes me feel a little better that it may be a Windows issue, not a hardware issue. I hope they fix this soon. I will try disabling AWS and let you (and anyone else having this issue) know if it solves the problem for me. 

TravisisiLL
Honored Guest
Disabling ASW really did seem to fix the performance issues! The game still crashes everytime I try to change an SS setting, but I've been filing reports each time and hopefully a patch is issued.

For anyone else experiencing similar problems, I disabled ASW using the Oculus Debug Tool, which you already have!

Here is a link that explains how to do this. Hope this helps someone!
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-debug-tool/

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Yeap, it has been the only way to get it to work correctly again, in a lot of VR games since October something has been hitting performance, take a game like Euro Trucker in VR, during the summer it ran perfeclty, i could even set it to high on some settings even on my GTX970, but now even with my GTX1080 and on low or medium settings i still get that AWS kicking in because fps are dropping below 90fps, and that is why i am leaning towards a MS update which is impacting on performance, i thought i had cured it by dropping back to nvida driver 385.69 but they start having the same issue, so now the only way i can play Euro Truck, or Dirt Rally or any game that would have fast action is to use the oculus tool to disable AWS.

I have been mulling over dropping back to W8.1 to see what happens.

stefgun
Sightseer
Over on the Steam forums for Fallout 4 VR many users are certain the W10 Fall Creators Update is a main reason for perfomance issues (on Vive aswell as Rift). So maybe this is the case here?

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^I would not doubt it, something certainly changed between the flawless perfomence during the summer months to what we have now, constantly requiring the oculus tool to disable aws, i mean i never touched this tool or even knew about it until i started having these issues last month and came to this forum.

Sharkster-NVR
Protege
I can confirm this. Performance is no longer smooth since November or so. Disabling ASW helps to get rid of the worst stuttering. We need some official input on this subject, but I haven't seen any comments from Oculus staff on this.
ERAZER X7849 Notebook - CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK - GPU: GTX 1070, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM - RAM: 32 GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 HYNIX PC4 17000 DUAL CHANNEL) - MAINBOARD: INTEL HM170

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
I wonder if there is anybody here on Windows 7,8, or 8.1 who can tell us if they are having similar issues with performence of late or are they getting no issues with those OS.

Bal323
Honored Guest
Agreed, I have also noticed a performance hit in the last couple months. Robo Recall was running very smooth until recently. Now stutters all the time. Going to turn of async time warp too.