cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible ghosting jutter & low refresh in all games & modes

Veraxus
Protege
After fixing my "everything crashes in direct mode" problem by uninstalling and reinstalling all Oculus (5.0.1) and GeForce (350.12) drivers, I'm now dealing with HORRIBLE jutter that I never had before.

The only things that seem to be jutter-free are the Config Demo and Tuscany. Everything else - and I do mean everything - has horrific jittery ghosting jutter any time I move my head, like I drank 10 or 15 too many pitchers of beer. It's not a framerate issue - in some cases, I'm getting triple-digit framerates.

What I have noticed is that the apps that show refresh rate in their menus appear to be locked at 59-60hz and they will not allow any refresh rates higher than that to be selected.

= = = = = = = = = = = = =
What I've tried:

I've tried reinstalling all the drivers, multiple times. I've double checked Windows Update and everything there is up to date. I've reinstalled all the various Windows runtimes. No dice.

I've tried using Win + P to set the DK2 as the sole screen. Absolutely no effect or improvement.

I've tried disconnecting the computer monitor and using the DK2 (with the lenses removed) to launch games - this way only the DK2 is connected. This seems to allow the selection of higher refresh rates (74hz according to Dirt Rally and Elite), but major motion blur is still an issue, even if jutter isn't.

I've tried rolling back GeForce drivers and I've tried rolling back Oculus Runtimes in various combinations. No effect, the problems persist.

I've tried reinstalling the DK2's firmware (2.12). No effect at all.

I've erased and recreated my DK2 profile. No dice.

I've erased all my GeForce Control Panel settings. No dice.

An an aside, since this jutter problem started, I also can't launch Subnautica in VR mode. The game starts but the Oculus never activates. This leads me to believe that some underlying software/driver problem is at fault here... like games aren't properly connecting to, or communicating with the Rift.

I'm at my wits end here. Is this a GeForce problem or a problem with Oculus software? Why did it start only after uninstalling and reinstalling my Oculus and GeForce drivers? What do I need to do to fix this?

= = = = = = = = = = = = =
System Specs

Windows 8.1 Po x64
GeForce 780 (currently w/ driver 350.12)
Oculus Runtime 5.0.1
My PC: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-I | Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.8Ghz | 32GB RAM | MSI Ventus 3X GeForce 3090 | Samsung 840 EVO 2TB SSD X2 | Windows 11 x64
1 REPLY 1

TheTerrierFromH
Honored Guest
I had this problem yesterday after installing the SDK and runtime for the very first time and got a headache within 5 minutes.

A friend suggested that I run in extended mode and ensure that the Oculus display was set to a refresh rate of 75hz in the windows display control panel which solved most of the problem for me. There is still a bit of a problem if I move my head out of a 'sweet spot' relative to the tracking camera and look around quickly the blurriness returns now and again.

As you've already said in your post, you've tried setting the refresh rate to 74 without success so I'm unsure as to what else you could try.

Sony Vaio Flip 15
Win8.1 Pro x64
Geforce GT 735M Driver v327.62
Oculus Runtime/SDK 5.0.1