cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible performance in Bullet Sorrow on a GTX 1060 3GB and my hardware is not maxed out

konstantin_loze
Explorer
I have experienced terrible performance in Bullet Sorrow and the strange
thing is that nether the GPU memory nor the GPU itself is maxed out.
Same for the CPU.
Here is a screenshot of the performance readings https://i.imgur.com/FuB7zlE.jpg
I would be grateful for any tips on how to make the game work. I should
meet the minimum specs with my setup so I would expect 90 FPS more or
less constant.
16 REPLIES 16

TravisPNW
Adventurer

escapppe said:

As soon as possible I will try to go up to a 1060 6GB or 1070 GPU hoping to fix the stutter.

Right now I cannot understand why Oculus system requirements recommend a 1060. In my opinion, it is the absolute minimum to enjoy games with low GPU usage like: "I expect you to die". Everything slightly GPU heavy will just be a disappointment. Especially where I can play Elite Dangerous on "High" settings in 2D.

This is exactly it.

My friend that introduced me to VR has a 1060 with his rig... and he complains a lot about performance.

Whenever people ask me about the Rift and what they need I tell them that I don't care what the system requirements say... I recommend at a bare minimum a 1070 for a good experience.  Anything less you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I wanted the best experience possible and built my rig accordingly.
LG CX OLED 48 / i9 10900k / RTX 3090 FE / 64GB / 3x 2TB 970 Evo Plus / Oculus Quest 2 256GB

konstantin_loze
Explorer

TravisPNW said:

escapppe said:

As soon as possible I will try to go up to a 1060 6GB or 1070 GPU hoping to fix the stutter.

Right now I cannot understand why Oculus system requirements recommend a 1060. In my opinion, it is the absolute minimum to enjoy games with low GPU usage like: "I expect you to die". Everything slightly GPU heavy will just be a disappointment. Especially where I can play Elite Dangerous on "High" settings in 2D.

This is exactly it.

My friend that introduced me to VR has a 1060 with his rig... and he complains a lot about performance.

Whenever people ask me about the Rift and what they need I tell them that I don't care what the system requirements say... I recommend at a bare minimum a 1070 for a good experience.  Anything less you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I wanted the best experience possible and built my rig accordingly.

I would be thinking of upgrading the video card only, but it seems that I also get CPU bottlenecks from my core i5-3570k https://i.imgur.com/lWZC2zA.jpg in Bullet Sorrow at least.

TravisPNW
Adventurer

I would be thinking of upgrading the video card only, but it seems that I also get CPU bottlenecks from my core i5-3570k https://i.imgur.com/lWZC2zA.jpg in Bullet Sorrow at least.

That would be my suggestion... upgrade the video card first and see what kind of performance increase you get.

VR loves the best hardware you can afford to throw at it.
LG CX OLED 48 / i9 10900k / RTX 3090 FE / 64GB / 3x 2TB 970 Evo Plus / Oculus Quest 2 256GB

escapppe
Explorer
the reason why I currently prefer a GPU upgrade over a CPU is simply that I get rid of my current GPU 1060 with 3GB RAM at a relatively good price. My CPU (i5 2500K) is simply so outdated that it doesn't make any sense to just upgrade a socket. Most of the time a motherboard has to be bought additionally.

The only thing that annoys me is the dreamy specifications that the software manufacturers and Oculus themselves are broadcasting. With a 1060 (3GB) there are hardly any games that can be played error-free on medium or high detail levels. You don't get happy even on low.

At the moment I own 9 games of which only 2 are running perfectly. "I expect you to die and Lucky Tales.

All blockbuster titles (especially those that were last in the Free Week offer) were inedible.

TravisPNW
Adventurer

escapppe said:

the reason why I currently prefer a GPU upgrade over a CPU is simply that I get rid of my current GPU 1060 with 3GB RAM at a relatively good price. My CPU (i5 2500K) is simply so outdated that it doesn't make any sense to just upgrade a socket. Most of the time a motherboard has to be bought additionally.

The only thing that annoys me is the dreamy specifications that the software manufacturers and Oculus themselves are broadcasting. With a 1060 (3GB) there are hardly any games that can be played error-free on medium or high detail levels. You don't get happy even on low.

At the moment I own 9 games of which only 2 are running perfectly. "I expect you to die and Lucky Tales.

All blockbuster titles (especially those that were last in the Free Week offer) were inedible.

Yeah... which is why I recommend the GPU upgrade first.   

I always take the word "minimum" with a grain of salt...  and speaking from experience VR will perform flawlessly on max detail if you have the hardware.

I'd go no less than a 1070 regardless.

escapppe
Explorer
Oculus goes with
minimum:
NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti/AMD Radeon RX 470
NVIDIA GTX 960/AMD Radeon R9 290

and with recommended:
NVIDIA GTX 1060/AMD Radeon RX 480
NVIDIA GTX 970/AMD Radeon R9 290

Robo Recall goes with
recommenced:

NVIDIA GTX 970 or equivalent

and here i'm sitting with my headset on, playing robo recall with pixels like monkeyisland from the year 1995 on 0.7 SSA and low settings just to have smooth 90 fps.

TravisPNW
Adventurer

escapppe said:

Oculus goes with
minimum:
NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti/AMD Radeon RX 470

and with recommended:
NVIDIA GTX 1060/AMD Radeon RX 480

and here i'm sitting with my headset on, playing robo recall with pixels like monkeyisland from the year 1995 on 0.7 SSA and low settings just to have smooth 90 fps.

I'd substitute 1070 for 1050Ti and 1080 for 1060.

You can also throw in 1080Ti for the "ultimate" experience.

Minimum specs... heck even recommended specs just don't give you a quality experience.