cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time warp - Increasing latency with scene changes

ScsiOverdrive
Explorer
I am experiencing very noticeable lag with head tracking (both position and orientation) in specific situations.

I have a Unity 4.5 project with a menu scene and a game scene. When you first launch the game, head tracking is working perfectly. However, when I click on start (load the game scene), then hit escape (load the menu scene again), I start to notice lag. If I repeat this process the latency increases until I start to feel drunk. 🙂

After some testing I noticed that this appears to be related to the time warp feature. When I disable time warp, the increasing latency issue goes away, but of course then I don't have the benefit of time warp! I should also note that I am testing in direct to rift mode, I am uncertain if this issue exists in extended mode.

My apologies if there is already a post about this somewhere, my searches haven't turned up anything. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Edit: Updated subject to more clearly reflect problem
4 REPLIES 4

ScsiOverdrive
Explorer
I have confirmed that this issue happens across multiple computers, in direct to rift mode and in extended mode. DK1 legacy mode seems to have no effect either.

Again, this is using Unity, time warp, and changing scenes multiple times. With every scene change, the lag increments. On a test with 20 switches between my menu and the game I was noticing about a half of a second of latency.

ScsiOverdrive
Explorer
To rule out something weird with my project/scene, I decided to do a build of the Tuscany scene bundled with the latest SDK. I can confirm the issue still exists here.

I created a new Unity project, imported Tuscany, and built it for windows.

While in the demo you can hit right shift, then enter, which will reload the scene. Do this enough times (10+) and it starts to become very obvious that time warp is acting strangely. 🙂

bteitler
Honored Guest
Doesn't surprise me. Time-warping in Unity breaks my game's smoothness at 75FPS - I don't think it is completely finished / stable.

Shigawire
Honored Guest
Technolust seem to have this working 100% well though.
DK2 ordered on March 19, 2014 at 11:03 AM PDT status: RECEIVED