cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch Tracking is very disappointing.

loucmachine
Explorer
How is it that vive has only 2 ''cameras'' or should I call them ''lighthouses'' and have no problem tracking while we need at least 3 cams for 360 to be working decently? Will there be software updates that really make tracking better ? Actually I havnt tried 3 sensors, but 2 is very shitty.

Right now I am very disappointed... I have setup my 2 cams in the corners of my play area on the ceiling and my hands keep drifting away and my HMD keep getting ''recentered'' at any time. Also sometimes it feels like the world just wobble back and forth and it gives my a bit of nosea. After some time when I get out of the rift I wobble my head in the real world ''trying to counter the wobble'' that is not there anymore.

I hope things get updated, I dont know if I want to stay an oculus costumer anymore... 😕
67 REPLIES 67

edmg
Trustee
You do realize that the tracking comes from IMUs, and the cameras are only used to correct accumulated tracking errors, right?

I have both Rift and Vive, and there's essentially no difference in tracking in the space I have available. The Rift is a bit more jittery in the corner where only one camera can see the controllers, the Vive controllers randomly disappear or go flying off into the sunset.

But, hey, the grass is always greener.

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

YoLolo69 said:

Yep, the Vive technology is better for positional tracking without doubt. It work the inverse as Oculus (devices seeking for the laser ray anywhere on room walls) and that's smarter, even if I have some doubt about life of the mechanical part which move high speed in lighthouse devices (and support seems focused of those devices with defective units after a while). 

Sorry to quote from January but I just wanted to correct this little piece of information.  Lighthouse still relies on direct line-of sight and cannot judge position based on bounced light from the walls.  This would add virtual travel time from the Lighthouse to the sensors on the Vive and would throw off the distance calculations.  This is also why highly reflective surfaces (like a mirror) may cause problems with tracking.

Since before the release of both headsets I've been saying my ideal would be a Rift headset and Touch controls with Lighthouse tracking.  However, I have a 3 sensor Rift setup and it's very good.  I remember my test with a Vive had occasional controller drift and occlusion, so I feel like my 3 sensor constellation setup is very close to what Vive accomplishes with 2 Lighthouses.  It may even be a little better because it's less prone to occlusion with 3 sensors.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

elboffor
Consultant
My setup is different to how it was when i last posted here.
I now have 4 sensors and tracking is butter smooth and dare i say it, hand tracking is 99.9% perfect.

No lag or issues at all in my entire 4x4m playspace.

I have 1 sensor direct on my mobo
Hmd with 2m passive usb 3 ext and 2nd sensor with 3m passive ext in one inatech card.
3rd sensor with 5m active usb 3 ext and 4th sensor with 10m active usb 3 ext on 2nd inatech card.

The only current issues i have with my rift is a slight movement of the play space (some referred to it as tremmers) these tend to only be noticable to me when sat at my pc in one corner of my room ajd head is perfectly still in racing games or ed.
All the rest of the time i would class my setup as flawless.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar

edmg said:

You do realize that the tracking comes from IMUs, and the cameras are only used to correct accumulated tracking errors, right?

I have both Rift and Vive, and there's essentially no difference in tracking in the space I have available. The Rift is a bit more jittery in the corner where only one camera can see the controllers, the Vive controllers randomly disappear or go flying off into the sunset.

But, hey, the grass is always greener.

I should clarify I was comparing a one vs one scenario since that is all I can compare at the moment.  I only have the original tracking camera for the Rift and haven't picked up Touch + the extra camera yet, although I plan to when I get more space.  I have messed up and forgot to plug in my other lighthouse station and played entire games of Audioshield without any sort of drift in the view or controller tracking (this is of course a 180 degree game), yet my Rift continuously has had issues with view drifting when I am at a similar distance away from the tracking camera (usually see issues around 5-6 feet away with a single camera).  When I am sitting at my desk 2.5 feet from the tracking camera playing cockpit sims (Elite, DiRT Rally, Euro Truck Sim 2) it has been very stable though, so this issue seems to happen at room-scale distances.

We are dealing with the first gen of two different approaches to tracking, so these minor issues are understandable.  Both seem to be good, but from my experience the single lighthouse is more precise than the single tracking camera and also has a bigger field of view.  PSVR comes in last in the tracking department due to the fact they are limited to the single camera to track everything.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

edmg
Trustee
I believe 5-6 feet is around the limit Oculus has given for reliable tracking with a single camera. With two opposing cameras, you can cover an area 10-12 feet across, which is more than the majority of VR gamers have according to the Steam survey.

This is why people tend to recommend the Vive to the tiny percentage of people who have a warehouse to play games in.

Lukemims
Honored Guest

I have 2 sensors set up diagonally about 10 feet apart and mine works pretty flawlessly. Zero complaints, great play area.

Have you tried Onward? What games have you tried?

How? When I go through the setup, it won't let me put them more than 6' apart...

kojack
MVP
MVP

Lukemims said:

I have 2 sensors set up diagonally about 10 feet apart and mine works pretty flawlessly. Zero complaints, great play area.

How? When I go through the setup, it won't let me put them more than 6' apart...

You can press skip if it doesn't like your setup, it will generally still work (but tracking may not be as good due to not following the recommendations).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

ThatTechGuy
Protege

kojack said:

Lukemims said:

You can press skip if it doesn't like your setup, it will generally still work (but tracking may not be as good due to not following the recommendations).

I was able to put my sensors about 10' apart but they have to both face forward.

AMD Ryzen 1800X | GYGABYTE GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA GTX980 FTW |120GB SanDisk SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD | EVGA 850 GQ Power supply | Fractal Design Define S