cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off annoying harmonic tone ambient noise in Link Loading Screen.

Alchemyst101
Explorer

I just got the quest 2, and while I'm mostly loving the freedom of movement and various features, there are a few nits that frustrating me. One of them is the background noise in the loading screen. Note that when I sat "loading screen", I am referring to the white space with the infinite grid above and below you, NOT the Home app. While in this screen, there is a constant, high-pitched hum that is impossible to ignore, and there is no menu option to disable it other than completely muting the entire headset. This wouldn't be so bad if you only went to this screen for a minute every once in a while, but you can't have Home active AND use another app simultaneously, so if you want to use an app and the Virtual Desktop at the same time, you have to put up with this noise for as long as you're not in the app itself.

This is especially annoying on some betas and 3rd party apps where you have to switch from vr to desktop mode to access some of the menus, and every time you exit the game, that harmonic tone is there blaring in your ear.

Please let me know if there's any way to disable this blasted noise. At this point I'd settle for just the location of the .wav file on the headset, so I could replace it with the best bits of John Cage's 4'33".

14 REPLIES 14

cyxceven
Honored Guest

Yes. 

The hum is coming from OVRServer_x64.exe, and it is very pointless and annoying.

It tricks me into thinking there's a ground loop somewhere, but there isn't.

The software is just badly designed, and no one cares enough to fix it.

You can mute the OVR Server I mentioned before, in Window's volume mixer, as a workaround.

Santaklas
Explorer

Same problem exists in Meta Workrooms. No way to kill the ambient hum/drone. It is driving me insane. Who designed this? I want to go to their home and stand next to them humming soothingly 24/7

Hey, I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I'd find that annoying too. Just to make absolutely sure, you're not experiencing this hum in any other apps, right?

Genesis does what Nintendon't! Send me a DM if you have questions. I'm happy to help!

No, I am talking specifically about the background hum sound effect when in the lobby of Meta Workrooms and when using Oculus Link. These are designed sound effects but there is no way to turn them off other than turing the volume on your headset off. 

blattie
Explorer

I would like to piggyback on this. Horizon Workroom is very rudimentary, but it works quite well. However, having this as an options would be fantastic because I can't work for long in there because of the annoying ambient sound.

xSpaceApe
Honored Guest

I would like to +1 this. I just got the Meta Quest 2, so I'm new. But when I use the questlink to access my desktop computer this sound is humming constantly. Through videos in my browser, songs I might be playing, and on, and on. 

It's really annoying that this can't be disabled in some way. 

Rafiktc
Explorer

why is this still not fixed, it's on even when watching videos in the browser, even while in the store, specially when watching product videos, this is driving me nuts

Is there a fix? This is making me crazy. 

Rebooting and choosing another environment seemed to work