cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[URGENT!] How to Prevent / Postpone Oculus Upgrades?

vr_marco
Protege
We will be showcasing our VR solutions on an important exhibition on Friday. Everything was tested and ready to go. Auto-updates turned off to avoid working with untested changes.

Then today, suddenly, the Oculus software starts updating to 1.22.00 without any message and there is no way to stop it/pause it. The only way seems to disconnect from the Internet, but we need Internet to show our solutions. So when we will reconnect to internet the day of the exhibition, the system will restart to update itself and, provided it works properly, it will anyway be in a version we have not been able to test. Come on guys, really?!?

Is there any way on earth to pause/postpone the upgrade but still work with the current version _and_ have the machine connected to the internet?

k0x1f87osaxy.png
szi4qbpdiun4.png
7 REPLIES 7

CoteDazur
Protege
apparently it is the same with the latest update. no good, we need choice to refuse updates.
what is the point of having a pause and stop button disabled, do you think this is funny?

Outrunne33
Protege
You want to postpone.. i just want the update to show up for me. I'll trade ya. :smiley:

cybereality
Grand Champion
Unfortunately, no. There is no way to stop the update.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

vr_marco
Protege

You have to realize that you pushing updates to the platform without user consent is disrupting custom workflows. After the last one we have had customers call us because unknown sources stopped working at once.
I am not sure whom inside Oculus should get this feedback, but if you want to be in the business sector vs. just gaming / consumers, you have to provide a way to stop unexpexcted/unwanted upgrades from happening without user consent. It is as simple as that.

falken76
Expert Consultant
If you use your firewall to block OVR from doing the updates, does it stop the rift from being able to be used?  If not, that would allow you to still use your internet while not allowing an update, but I suspect that Oculus would become non functional once it's blocked in the firewall.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

vr_marco said:

You have to realize that you pushing updates to the platform without user consent is disrupting custom workflows. After the last one we have had customers call us because unknown sources stopped working at once.
I am not sure whom inside Oculus should get this feedback, but if you want to be in the business sector vs. just gaming / consumers, you have to provide a way to stop unexpexcted/unwanted upgrades from happening without user consent. It is as simple as that.

Awesome comment - that's really what it's all about. Even in Win10 you can refuse updates. With Oculus everything is forced no matter the damage it may cause to users - and the only way is to deactivate your internet connection, which simply isn't an option. Regarding updates, Oculus seems like a young company which has much to learn, unfortunately. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

vr_marco
Protege

falken76 said:

If you use your firewall to block OVR from doing the updates, does it stop the rift from being able to be used?  If not, that would allow you to still use your internet while not allowing an update, but I suspect that Oculus would become non functional once it's blocked in the firewall.

We don't need a workaround. Workarounds tend to break unexpectedly. We need a solution. It could be as simple as a configuration switch to turn automatic updates off.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?