cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Warning and Phantom right controller fix

MrBluePlaydoh
Protege
Hello guys,  So i been talking to support via email and they have game me the fix for the USB warning and the phantom controllers.
Copy and pasted straight from there email, I have followed these steps and it has work and its been 5 days so far so touch wood its permanent fix.

USB warning fix -

Disconnect your
computer from the internet.

Backup any necessary
content.

·        
You can find steps on
how to do so here https://support.oculus.com/190738628001661/#faq_190738628001661

Reboot into Safe Mode.

Uninstall Oculus Home
using the Control Panel.

Delete all Oculus
folders from the following folder:

·        
C:\Program Files

Remove any Oculus
folders from the following locations:

·        
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData

·        
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local

·        
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow

·        
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming

·        
C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache

Restart your computer
in normal mode.

Reconnect your
computer to the internet.

Install Oculus Home again
using the setup tool from our website https://www.oculus.com/setup/

Phantom controller fix -

We are working on a software fix to address the multiple
controllers issue, but for now, these steps should temporarily resolve the
problem.

On your keyboard,
press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys all at once to open the Task Manager.

In Task Manager, click
More details then navigate to the Services tab and locate the OVRService.

Right-click it and
select Stop.

Once it's stopped,
press Windows + R keys to open up Run.

Enter: %LocalAppData%\Oculus\

In the newly opened
window, locate the DeviceCache.json file and delete it.

Once it's deleted,
return to Task Manager and start up the OVRService again by right-clicking it
and selecting Start.

Launch the Oculus app
and complete the Rift S setup.

Thought i would share with you guys, Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

I did occasionally to fix the Problems by myselfe without reading your post.
I did a deinstallation of the oculus software and deleted via hand the oculus directory by hand and also the %appdata% directories in roaming, local and locallow.

Then a full and clean installation with the setup without plugged in Rift S.

I still get the warning, i still have a third controller and the Rift S works only directly after the first setup, after a reboot i only get the 3 dots, regardless of the used usb on my mainboard (Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wifi) x470)

The only usb-Port that worked flawless in the past was the red USB 3.1 Gen 2 Typ-A port EA2.
The others from the IO will - when they did work - cause hickups like tracking problems and smeared frames.

As this did works before the WIN1903 sub-update (It ran stable with 1903 till the middle of the week) i want to ask when you will fix this via the oculus software....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I got the same steps for the USB fix as well, followed to a tee and

A.  it didn't fix my USB connection error and

B.  Even worse, since the windows 1903 update, my headset wont even come on.  Just black screen.  It worked fine since day 1 until the windows update.  I know its a software or driver issue because I created a dummy windows log in with a simple name like Tony and it works fine on that user account, but if I switch back to my main account (where it was working since day 1) it says there is a hardware error and the headset wont come on.  This is with it plugged into the same ports as when I log into the Tony simple user name account so its not a hardware issue.  I wish they would get a fix for this soon...  I did not spend this type of money for a system that only worked for less than 2 months or have to switch back and forth to a dummy account just to play, esp when it was working fine up till then....

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did not work at all.  Gave this a go, still having the same issue. 

The only thing I accomplished was wasting about two hours to go through all the steps. 

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer
Imagine my now reading this after just weeks ago following the "usb warning fix" from above only then it was labeled "phantom controller fix"  that in fact if I uninstall windows cumulative update KB4507453, the usb warning goes away and all green but since I cannot find how to stop only that update without stopping all updates, the update gets reinstalled and I again have the usb warning with no discernable performance hit.

I don't know 

MrBluePlaydoh
Protege

bradtwo said:

Did not work at all.  Gave this a go, still having the same issue. 

The only thing I accomplished was wasting about two hours to go through all the

MrBluePlaydoh
Protege
All I can say if it didn’t fix the USB warning then maybe they are out of date? I don’t no why it wouldn’t fix it for you guys but hopefully it will fix it for others like me, I know it’s annoying so hope you sort it soon.