cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect phone app to the Quest 2

virginiaJS
Honored Guest
Hello, I've recently acquired my new Quest 2 and am struggling with the setup.
My smartphone is old and I suspect it is the problem. It's a Moto G with Android version 5.1. I've seen that the Oculus app is compatible with Android 5.0+ so I hope this is fixable because buying a new phone isn't appealing to me currently. 
The specific problem appears to be with the location connection during the pairing. Even with the location on, the Oculus app asks for the location like it isn't. I've uninstalled the app and reinstalled it but it hasn't affected the issue.
Any help would be super appreciated thank you!
34 REPLIES 34

Sprunknwn
Explorer

Just received my headset yesterday and experiencing the same issue.

Location message appears, "Next" doesn't do anything but blink.

Checked permissions - Oculus app has permissions to Location.

Location is turned on.

This thread is from early 2020.

Are we going to get a fix/answer for this anytime soon or do I need to return the headset for a refund?

I'm not interested in a 400$ paperweight.

Best advice I can give is :
Find another phone (from a friend for example) to be able to finish the pairing / "Why the **** I need this App" process. (Or, buy a cheap recent smartphone like I did : Samsung A12)
(Then, the app can be deleted without consequences)

(It's an android problem with the app, not the Quest2 himself)

Your solution is invalid for the following reasons - 
1. I shouldn't need to find another phone if the supported version is 5.0+ which is what I have on both devices.
2. Buying another phone is not an option since it wasn't declared prior to buying the headset. It is an absurd notion that I would need to buy a new phone just to pair with the headset when they specifically mention my current phone is supported.
3. Saying it is an "Android problem with the app" is twisting reality. 
It is an Oculus App issue on Android devices.
There are thousands of other apps that use the same functionality without an issue.
Since the Headset is useless without the initial setup through the App, this is a Oculus Quest 2 issue, "itself".

I expect an official response from Oculus support and I have yet to see one in the 2 threads mentioning this issue.

Hopefully we can get a response this time.

Hey there! We want to help resolve this so you can get into gaming with Quest 2 as quickly as possible. We think THIS article can help with connecting your headset to the app. If you need more help past this point, please PM us or click HERE to contact us by email or chat, and we'll look deeper into it. Thanks!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hi there OculusSupport,

I have already went through this article several times.

I have also contacted support through chat and email which pretty much repeated the same steps with the addition of clearing the BT cache on my phone. None of it worked.
This is an issue with the Oculus App.

When trying another phone with Android 7.1.1 (although I saw people struggling with that version as well), Before trying to pair, before receiving the notification regarding location is needed, I received a notification whether to allow access to location, even though I allowed permissions to everything when I installed the Oculus App.

This request for permission does not appear when I use my Galaxy note 3 with android 5.0.

I believe this is the core of the issue, the additional permission authorization that does not come up before pairing.

Since this issue is really old, is it possible to increase priority on it and issue an update for the Android App?

Thanks!

We appreciate you looking into that for us, and it seems you, along with many others, have been at this for quite some time. We don't want you to miss out on your VR experience, so we really think the best route here would be to take a deep dive into the issue with an agent. If you've already submitted a ticket, feel free to PM us with that ticket number, and we'll leave a note for the agent handling it.

Please click here https://ocul.us/OculusCommunitySupport or on our name to get to our profile page, then click "Send a Message" to privately contact us. Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Sprunknwn
Explorer

Hey there,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Ticket number is - 3687354.

Thanks!

Hey, did you get a fix for this?

did they fix this ? I have the same issue 😞

This site is not currently active