cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to perform Factory Reset

SteeleTeamSix
Explorer

Sooooo... I've only had my Quest 2 for 6-8 weeks. Recently, I started having issues where each time I boot the headset, it says "Lost Tracking"... yadda yadda yadda. I am able to work around this by simply waiting until I get to the main lobby, go into setting and turn Tracking back on. It seems to work fine for that session. But every time I turn the unit off, the next time I boot I have to go through the same thing. I reached out to support a week or so ago and they said to perform a Factory Reset. Well, I tried that but it didn't work and it was late. So I have been dealing with my work around since. 

Next, I have begun to have issues with In Death - Unchained where the game tile just says "syncing" and you can never launch the game. Again, I found a work around by going to the store and simply running it from there. I do get a warning, something about possible progress being lost, yadda yadda yadda. Reading some of the posts about this issue, seems like the same fix... perform a Factory Reset. 😐

So, tonight I tried to do just that. I shut down the headset, then press and hold the power button and the volume - until then menu comes up. Problem is... it only comes up for a fraction of a second then the unit self reboots. The menu is not on the screen long enough for me to even read it, let alone use the +/- buttons to select Factory Reset, if that option is even there. Again, it flashes so fast I can not even read it.

So.... now what???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SteeleTeamSix
Explorer

[UPDATE] Another clue that I uncovered via chatting with support is that while the Oculus App said "can not find your device", when I went to my iPhone's bluetooth settings, it actually showed the headset as "connected". So I touched "forget this device" and when I went back to the main bluetooth settings it should up again without having to repair and said "connecting", then "connected". When I went back to the Oculus App it could now find the headset and allowed me to perform the Factory Reset. 

So this hurdle has been cleared. Let's hope it solves the small hand-full of issues I have been having.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@SteeleTeamSix  Just use your smartphone app to do a factory reset.  I've found this a lot easier way to do this.  Startup and login to both your Quest and Phone app.  On your phone app go to the device/settings tab, click on your Quest and follow the menu down to factory reset.  It will ask you to confirm, then you are done.  A little Googling would have explained all this btw.

https://support.oculus.com/articles/fix-a-problem/troubleshoot-headsets-and-accessories/troubleshoot...

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there! If factory resetting your Quest 2 via the Oculus app doesn't resolve the tracking issue you're experiencing, please reach back out to us regarding this so that we can help you out. Thank you!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Thanks Tom,

Unfortunately, yet another issue that I am experiencing which I failed to include in my post above, is the fact that my iPhone will no longer connect to the headset. It just keeps searching and searching and cannot find it to connect.

I have to say, when the unit works, it is truly a great experience. However, a user should just never experience this many core problems with a brand new unit that has been out for quite some time now. The whole platform seems more like an alpha or beta version. Definitely not generally available or production ready.

211B19A2-0F1C-46A6-AECE-65D0114CB386.png

Well… I am unable to actually perform the factory reset. So what do you suppose I do? 

@SteeleTeamSix  Contact oculus support of course,.  Not too has hard imho.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Yep, have reached out twice now. Appears the only way to get support is via chat or email (which they provide disclaimer of a 1-2 day turn around for a response). 

It’s an incredible time burn and the first thing you get is, “have you tried a cold reboot?”, “have you tried a Factory Reset?”.  I’ve never had a product where a Factory Reset appears to be the default ‘fix everything’ solution. 

But back to support I go. 😐

(FWIW, I wouldn’t typically put this much effort into fixing any product, but when it works it REALLY IS THAT GOOD! So I’ll continue trying to resolve. 🙂

SteeleTeamSix
Explorer

[UPDATE] Another clue that I uncovered via chatting with support is that while the Oculus App said "can not find your device", when I went to my iPhone's bluetooth settings, it actually showed the headset as "connected". So I touched "forget this device" and when I went back to the main bluetooth settings it should up again without having to repair and said "connecting", then "connected". When I went back to the Oculus App it could now find the headset and allowed me to perform the Factory Reset. 

So this hurdle has been cleared. Let's hope it solves the small hand-full of issues I have been having.

The thing is i dont have the meta quest app on my phone since it wont connect and i did a factory reset on my vr and IT STILL wont work now i have no clue what to do and its still a black screen i really need help

Hey, @Kiripropro1656! We know it's never fun to experience any issues with our devices having a black screen, so we would love to get this fixed up for you as fast as possible. In order for us to further diagnose this issue, could you uninstall the mobile app from your phone? Then try to perform a factory reset by following these steps:

1. Ensure the headset is powered on (check if the power LED is on)
  2. If there appears to be no power, attempt to charge the headset for 2 hours
  3. Turn off your headset.
  4. Hold the power and volume (-) button on your headset down simultaneously until the boot screen loads on your headset.
  5. Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight Factory Reset and press the power button.
  6. Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight Yes and press the power button.

Please keep in mind that factory resetting the device will wipe it completely clean, but you are able to turn on Cloud Backup by following the steps listed HERE. Once the factory reset has been completed, please go ahead and reinstall the mobile app on your phone. We hope this helps, but if not, please feel free to reach back out to us at any time! Have a legendary day!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!