cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity crashes while I import the samples

myBadStudios
Protege
On the website Oculus says that the shaders may cause the system to appear unresponsive but in my case it just crashes Unity altogether. Trying to restart Unity causes it to crash again before the editor even shows up. Once I delete the shaders Unity loads up fine. When I try to reinstall the package but select only the shaders Unity chashes again and again won't start up until I delete the shaders.

I tried running the demos scenes without the shaders but then see nothing and get masses and masses of errors. So I try to assign any random (Well, actually the Unity Standard)  via dropping it into the player prefab but that just doesn't work. So I click on the circle and select a random shader and then Unity crashes as soon as I click. I don't even have the chance to double click....

I found that if I create a new scene and drop in the FPS prefab the scene draws just fine. If I drop in the player prefab and set Unity to start with None set as the VR mode then I can play via the keyboard. Once I change None to Oculus then Unity crashes as soon as I hit play.

I tried the samples using the 1.14 SDK and that ran without the shaders but also didn't show me anything except the bounds and when I lifted the Touch controller it showed me a hole in the barrier... it also spat out many errrors about missing shaders, unassigned objects and noticed that the controllers are only supported from 1.18. Both 1.18 and 1.20 do not allow me to run any scene that has the player prefab in it... and crashes unity as soon as it has to import the shaders...

All I want is to see the controllers or my hands in the scene so I can send a ray out from them. That is all. It has taken me 2 days and around 40 Unity crashes and I am still nowhere near close to finding out how to do so.

Ideal would be to actually show my avatar also but I would gladly settle for just the hands/controllers. What do I do?
2 REPLIES 2

myBadStudios
Protege
Another day and another 20 crashes trying to get the demo scene from the Asset Store to simply load. One whole day to load a demo from the asset store and I am STILL not able to start up unity because I haven't removed enough shaders yet....

C'mon, guys.... it can't be normal to take 8+ hours just to open a sample from the Asset store!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? WTF????

myBadStudios
Protege
Please, please, please Oculus guys... delete this thread before any more people get to see how stupid I have been. My reputation will be ruined by the number of facepalms I am going to get because of this problem I faced.... 😞

So I finally got it working and making it work required that I import the package, select the scene and hit play. That easy. So what is the big difference between my earlier struggles and now? Easy... the hard drive that I created my project on. I've been so used to doing everything on my USB3 external drive that I missed it when I moved my projects over to the new location that this location uses a USB2 HDD. So there is a tip for you... If you are going to be running a project from an external HDD, make sure it is NOT a USB2 HDD

Turns out the problem was not with your shaders but with Unity doing what it does with shaders in general. Your shaders plus my slow HDD access speeds = instant Unity crash. Facepalm...