cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**Urgent** No image display on Headset during first setup and in any game

super9up
Honored Guest
Hi everyone, here is my issue. I was trying to set up the oculus rift with the MSI PC and the Headset does not display anything when it gets to "Continue in your Headset" moment. I skipped the setup and tried to open a game, still no image from the headset and also the laptop screen monitor but I can hear the sound from the headset.

I have done a few testing with the Headset and another laptop.
Test 1: I tried to connect the same headset to another laptop (Dell precision 7530) and the headset works totally fine.
Test 2: I tried to connect the MSI to a TV screen with a HDMI cable and it works fine
Test 3: I tried to disconnect the Headset's HDMI cable during the game from the MSI laptop, the MSI laptop screen monitor start displaying the game image.

I have done some research on this problem and tried a few of the advice and it still doesn't work such as restarting the PC, reinstalling the Oculus application, disabling the Intel display card and making sure the HDMI on the Headset end is connected.

Below is the MSI spec-
Model: MSI GS73 Stealth 8RF-011
Processor: Intel Core i&-8750H
Graphics adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q - 8192 MB
Memory: 16 GB SO-DIMM DDR4-2400
Mainboard: Intel HM370
7 REPLIES 7

cybereality
Grand Champion
It's possible the laptop is not compatible. Most laptops don't work at all with Rift, due to differences in the way they handle video output (for example, having the HDMI port hard-wired to the integrated GPU). This may be the problem.

However, you can try doing a DDU safe mode uninstall and then install latest Nvidia drivers fresh. Also install latest Intel graphics drivers. If your machine has a DisplayPort output, try using the for Rift (with an adapter).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a VR ready laptop the ASUS ROG 503VM Strix - Oculus worked fine ever since I got it... then it just went to black screen, everything else worked... sound, sensor tracking, you can see the game on the monitor... but not on the Rift...

So this issue isn't your laptop not working as Cyber suggests... this is a bad case of Oculus not doing their job to protect the customer from driver incompatibility. 

SORT IT OUT! This is the umpteenth message I have left including support tickers... You will not ignore this problem and if you do any longer I will ensure I use all my amplification avenues to make sure the entire world knows it too! 

And um yes if you haven't guest I'm pissed off! 

Anonymous
Not applicable
bump

Rod_B
Explorer
One sweet day this will be fixed lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rod_B said:

One sweet day this will be fixed lol

So you think they are ripping us all off on purpose? If this is the case then the whole world needs to know about this!! If I get no satisfaction then I will sue, and they will try and settle... but I don't need money... I'll just sue them and watch them lose sales.  

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Tim74UK said:

I have a VR ready laptop the ASUS ROG 503VM Strix - Oculus worked fine ever since I got it... then it just went to black screen, everything else worked... sound, sensor tracking, you can see the game on the monitor... but not on the Rift...

So this issue isn't your laptop not working as Cyber suggests... this is a bad case of Oculus not doing their job to protect the customer from driver incompatibility. 

SORT IT OUT! This is the umpteenth message I have left including support tickers... You will not ignore this problem and if you do any longer I will ensure I use all my amplification avenues to make sure the entire world knows it too! 

And um yes if you haven't guest I'm pissed off! 

This PC in your sig (My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10) - are you able to test the Rift on that PC to check if the HMD is working properly? 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

super9up
Honored Guest

It's possible the laptop is not compatible. Most laptops don't work at all with Rift, due to differences in the way they handle video output (for example, having the HDMI port hard-wired to the integrated GPU). This may be the problem.

However, you can try doing a DDU safe mode uninstall and then install latest Nvidia drivers fresh. Also install latest Intel graphics drivers. If your machine has a DisplayPort output, try using the for Rift (with an adapter).

It works now and here is what I did.
1. Uninstall the Nvidia driver under DDU safe mode
2. Install the latest Nvidia driver
3. Uninstall the Intel driver
4. Without installing the Intel driver, I tested the VR headset again and it worked

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?