cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Rift is causing my computer to abruptly shut off

Behonkiss
Honored Guest

I bought the Rift and began using it Friday of last week with no issues. However, on Sunday night, while showing a relative apps, my computer abruptly turned completely off while playing First Contact. No error messages, glitches, or performance issues beforehand, just a sudden shut off/cut to black/no power, etc. I assumed it could be due to slow processing time my laptop had been experiencing lately due to the multitude of apps and processes constantly running and the hard drive being mostly full, so I spent Sunday night and today doing the built-in Windows 10 feature of uninstalling all apps and processes while retaining my files. Oculus reinstalled fine and handles the setup process okay, but now First Contact does the same issues 2-3 seconds in instead of a minute or so in. I tried to circumvent this by not loading it or the setup the next time I rebooted my computer and the Oculus app, and tried loading a VR game I purchased off Steam yesterday. 1 minute in, the same shutting off happened.

I doubt this is due to my computer overheating either, as I aired it out two days ago and it was not noticeably hot when I rushed over to check on and restart it. I'm worried that something odd is going on with either my Oculus software or equipment causing this, and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions, especially since it worked flawlessly the first two days and I still have some purchased apps and games I'd like to try.

5 REPLIES 5

Digikid1
Consultant
Please list your complete specs of your computer. You also mentioned that it’s a laptop right?

nalex66
MVP
MVP
It’s most likely heat or power draw. If you’re sure that the laptop isn’t overheating, you could try plugging the Rift into an external powered USB hub. It could be that the laptop can’t provide enough power to all the USB ports simultaneously. Also, always run the laptop plugged into the AC adapter when you’re using the Rift—the GPU won’t run at full power on battery in most laptops. 

I would also do some testing with non-VR games to make sure that it’s not an overheating issue. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

jayhawk
Superstar
edit

LZoltowski
Champion
Yeah, please list out your specs, most likely a power draw spike.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

TheAntiSocializer
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Hey everyone. Just jumping in here to lock this thread since it does seem to be a pretty old issue. If you're running into this, I'd suggest making a new post in our Get Help section where everyone would be happy to assist!

Sometimes it's okay to be a little Bing Chilling