cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the OVRPlugin for Unity with versions of Unity 5.3.4 and 5.4 Beta

aiaustin
Expert Protege
The web page for developers at https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/game-engines/1.3.0/OVRPlugin_for_Unity_5/ as of today (April 7th) still says

Note: Do not install OVRPlugin version 1.3.0 with any version of Unity other than 5.3.4p1, or it will not work properly.

But Unity 5.3.4p2 is out and it would be useful if the web pagr clarified if it means from version 5.3.4p1 AND LATER or not.

Unity forums have also clarified that the OVRPlugin for Unity version 1.3.0 does work with 5.4 beta versions, though the location the plugins go in differs...

Unity staff member @thep3000 indicated...
5.4 betas work with 1.3.0, you will have to extract the plugin dlls to a slightly different path, ex:  C:\Program Files\Unity 5.4.0b11\Editor\Data\VR\Unity\Win64 for the 64-bit windows OVRPlugin.dll.  We will begin shipping the newer plugin in a future beta.

Oculus has not done as much testing on 5.4 beta builds so they are hesitant to recommend them for shipping products. But please do test them, they are fully compatible

I tested myself using 5.3.4b11 with the OVRPlugin version 1.3.0 carefully placed in the new (diffeernt to 5.3.4) locations and it appears to work fine with Oculus Home and my DK2, though of course this is only suitable for testing your apps and not for publishing anything.
0 REPLIES 0