cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR.exe crashing - so what is it?

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I've been testing various ways of using older racing sims in the Rift over the last few days. One test was rFactor (thru Steam) - used it with Core 2 in desktop mode, which worked well enough ( a little latency, but acceptable), with Steam in VR Theatre mode (even more latency and not quite as good, but still okay) and today I tried it with Virtual Desktop.

Virtual Desktop is definitely the best way to go out of the three, as the screen almost completely fills your view and it's great fun - however, I repeatedly got the Windows warning sound and was finding the game often switching to a "VR.exe has stopped working" type message. I have zero idea which program this "VR.exe" belongs to, though - but despite it coming up repeatedly all the time I was driving, everything carried on working without issue (apart from the errors coming up).

I can only surmise this has something to do with Virtual Desktop, as it didn't happen with the other methods - but why is it happening, and why is everything still running okay, if windows is telling me it isn't (or vice-versa)?

Seems nuts. Here's the most details I got:

lg7ia1vd5g0w.jpg

Next time I'll hop to the Task Manager and see if I can see what it is connected with.

PS - just had a thought - I have virtual desktop installed in both Home and Steam - wonder if that is causing trouble? Only ran the Home one at the time, but I know it runs as a Windows service all the time (and why? I always stop it if I happen to be looking through my Task Manager when not using the prog).

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
0 REPLIES 0